Chapter XVII

It was not in everyone's nature to constantly seek answers. Many creatures would simply accept certain events, while others could not sleep until they knew what had caused them. Thanks to his long life history, Gandalf was well-aware he was not one to give up on his right to understand. Sometimes it took him years and decades. Many were those who had lived a lifetime before the wizard could find his answers. Yet, everytime he found what he was looking for.

Luckily, as war had started so brutally, Gandalf still had had enough time to see what was really happening. It was not the first time that he got betrayed by the white wizard he once trusted. Saruman had revealed himself to be selfish and constantly working for his own interest. But he had also shown a certain naivety. As he graved power so much he got blinded and when he thought he was the one in control, he, in fact, was nothing but used. So, this is where Gandalf's research had started.

It was not the first time that Middle Earth's history had been forgotten behind myths and legends. But Gandalf did not forget. When he understood why so many things had been unexpected, it suddenly could not be clearer. And he was afraid. As he watched Therlos' haunted body attack Legolas over and over, he deeply hoped he was wrong. Because if it was not the case, the ring he was holding in his hand would not stop what had started. Saruman's revenge was a disguise for a far bigger scheme.

Legolas had never fought so well. His skills were at their best but they were not enough against the power Saruman had been offered. Before jumping in, Gandalf had had many hopes that Legolas would win the fight. Yet, as the elf seemed to have taken his last chances against the wizard, it had become too much and this time he did not get up.

"Stop this madness, Saruman!" Gandalf appeared from wherever he was hidden. As Saruman led all his attention to the other wizard, Legolas was suddenly granted a calm instant and passed out. "She is not one to be trusted and you know it."

Until now, Gandalf had dared to hope the stories he had heard were legends but Saruman's eyes were only confirming their likelihood. "I do not trust her. You are the only one who blindly trusts anyone fighting for this lost peace."

"What did Mahilis promise for you to be so foolish? You have seen where it led you once, why would you follow evil again?"

"You believe I am the one following evil, but you have listened to your elvish Lady's stories without questioning it. The truth is well hidden, Gandalf. Where do you think this is going? Your words will not be enough to take me away from rightfulness."

"Your powers may have grown but your naivety is even greater, Saruman." Gandalf did not get the answers he was looking for but at least he had saved enough time for the army to be heard. It was powerfully loud and getting close. Under their steps, the whole forest's ground was shaking and the violence made Legolas go back to his senses. Despite the distance, the elf could hear the smallest noises Elrond's army made and when he recognised it, he instantly looked up at Gandalf.

The great wizard had happily witnessed his ally waking up. He did not wait a second to solve his confusion. "He has not abandoned you." Before focusing back on his opponent, Gandalf kindly smiled. He was seeing the importance of Aragorn and Legolas' feelings now. And as it was written to help the future, he was determined to protect it.

But right now, he had to stop Saruman's insanity. With his staff in one hand and the powerful ring in the other, he was ready for the soldiers to arrive and for this battle to be over. His eyes landed on Saruman who was anything but afraid of what he had not seen earlier. "You have helped her a lot but is she going to help you now? You are just a pawn that she is willing to sacrifice, Saruman."

"I do not need her help!" As he screamed, Saruman threw his arms higher and the forest suddenly joined his side. Awful creatures made of rock and green moss came out of the old forest's roots and quickly attacked Gandalf. The wizard defended himself with swift and precise motions but he never got to Saruman. For each step he took closer to him another bunch of monsters came to life. It slowly appeared to be an endless fight but soon enough the army was here.