Resist

Rapunzel and the others fled from the castle and into the city, ducking into Xavier's empty forge to hide from the Saporians coming out after them.

"We cannot allow the Princess and her gang to interfere with New Saporia's takeover of Corona." One of the Saporians said as they approached.

"Hey, sorry I'm late. They needed me to carry a horse." One of the others joined the three already outside of the forge. "Find 'em?"

"They're quick, but there aren't many places to hide." Clementine assured her.

Rapunzel looked around a crate to see them, then ducked back when Clementine said, "Do you see something?"

The big one turned towards the box Rapunzel was hiding behind. "Yes." He said with disgust in his voice as he reached down. Rapunzel tensed, but he just picked up a horseshoe. "Look at these shoes of equine oppression!"

"Oh, barbaric Coronans!" Clementine said with disgust.

"Kai, focus." The newcomer said.

"Right." The big guy tossed the horseshoe away. "Sorry, Juniper."

Rapunzel waited until they were gone before she felt relief. Suddenly, the fireplace moved and Xavier poked his head out with a smile. "Princess."

"Xavier!" Rapunzel whispered, then hurried over to join him with the other three. Xavier closed the fireplace behind them.

"The Captain of the Guards sent out many search parties to find you." Xavier said as they walked down some stairs. "He has yet to return." He stopped at the bottom. "But, in the meantime..."

Rapunzel reached the bottom and felt relief to see the people gathered. "Princess," Attila turned to her and clapped his hands together, "you're back!"

Rapunzel giggled and ran over to hug Freidborg and Bignose. "It is so, so good to see all of you!" She moved on to hug Atilla, and finally she stopped next to Monty, who was grumbling with his arms crossed over his chest. "Even you, Monty."

He looked at her and smiled brightly, but she could see that he had been hurt like Feldspar, with a bruise on his cheek. Rapunzel reached up to gently cup his cheek with concern and he glanced away, an unspoken pain in his eyes.

"We stay hidden." Xavier said, walking over to her. "Everyone in Corona now lives in fear, spending their days mining Varian's minerals. Everyone here either got away or were rescued from the stocks after they failed to meet their quota too many times."

Rapunzel clenched her fists. "Did Varian arrange this? Is this his doing?"

"I do not believe that young Varian is entirely at fault." Xavier said, looking at her. "He acted before from a place of passion, of grief, pain and rage. This is more calculated, as if his rage has been cultivated and stoked like the flames of a forge so that it burns bright."

"Andrew." Rapunzel said, frowning.

"I do believe that young Varian is the reason we are all still alive at all." Xavier admitted. "He seems to be close with the Saporian leader, Andrew."

"Why is this allowed to go on? The people of Corona are so brave, why wouldn't they stand up against the Saporians?" Rapunzel asked.

"We cannot defy orders from the King and Queen." Xavier shook his head. "As long as the Saporians and Varian have them under their control, we are helpless. Any act of aggression against any of them is treason." He smiled. "But, now that you have returned, the game has changed." He bowed down before her, and the others followed suit.