{~Chapter 1: A Turn For the Worst~}

After the battle against DBK, MK thought he would never have to worry about that mysterious presence he felt that day for a long while.

Why couldn't he have just been right about that?

Why couldn't it have just been a normal day for him?

It was the day before the New Years' Festival, too...

"Hey, kid! Could you take the trash out on your way back up to your apartment? That would help me out a ton." Pigsy called over his shoulder as he was cleaning the kitchen of the noodle shop right after closing time.

"On it, Pigsy!" The young man chirped, hauling the large black bag out of the shockingly smaller can before dragging it out the back door. Huffing, he managed to throw it onto his shoulder.

"Come on! Kitty!"

"Huh?"

In the alleyway, next to the giant trash cans, a young girl was jumping up in a feeble attempt to retrieve an orange cat. She was visibly struggling, MK could tell. So, he set the bag down, which landed with a hearty thump. Startled, the girl turned towards the noise.

"Oops! Sorry for scaring you. Uh, do you need help getting your cat, miss?" The boy asked, gesturing to the cat.

The girl sighed in annoyance, nodding. "He isn't coming down, no matter what I do. And I'm in a really big hurry!"

MK smiled. "Don't worry! Your looking at a totally legit animal professional! I got this."

The young man walked up to where the girl stood, who walked out of the way to let the man do his thing. MK didn't even get a word out before the cat instantly jumped onto the next low rooftop and scrambled out of view.

"Nonononono—! Dang it!" MK groaned. He turned to the girl. "Sorry about that. I guess I'm not a total pro after all."

The girl looked disappointed, until she suddenly perked up. "Wait... I think I know where my kitty is going!" She suddenly jogged out of the alley, sending a quick wave to MK.

"Thanks anyways, sir! I hope to see you around!"

"Huh? Oh! Yeah! Same to you!" MK shouted back, before sighing. A shame he couldn't get the cat down for the little girl. But he guessed he didn't really need to worry about it now.

MK hauled the trash bag back onto his shoulder and made his way to the green trash cans. After this, he was gonna go straight to his apartment and pass out. He was so exhausted, he didn't even hear the ominous whispers.

Nor did he notice the blue glow until it was too late.

"Huh? Tang? Pigsy? Is that yo—" MK was cut off by a cold, misty substance forcing its way into his body. Letting out a series of choked, strangled screams, he collapsed to the floor.

Head pounding with whispers he could barely make out, MK desperately tried to crawl his way towards the noodle shop to call for the two older adults inside. But no matter how hard he tried, his screams and pleas were cut short. His vision grew dimmer and dimmer as his body threw itself back, no longer under his control.

The young man laid flat on his back, eyes closed and arms outstretched.

When he opened his eyes again, they were an icy blue.