{~Chapter 4: Year of the Spider~}

Monkey King was worried.

MK hadn't shown up for the usual training right before the festival.

Now at first, Wukong was annoyed. But then, as the minutes flew by, he grew anxious. It wasn't like MK to be this late.

He considered now flying down to the city to check up on the kid. Heck, he could try sending a message through his mind, but he didn't wanna freak him out in case he was doing something important. So, he sat for another hour, secretly hoping the kid would pop out and dah away his worries.

That's when he noticed the chaos of the city.

<***>

The gang didn't know what to do. One moment, they were asking around for MK and putting up some missing posters and the next, the city was under attack by the Spider Queen. Left and right, people were being corrupted and injected with spider venom.

Quickly, they made a mad dash for the dock, trying to get away as fast as they could.

They didn't even notice a certain someone watching from above the giant spider mech, watching them with blue, sinister eyes.

<***>

Wukong made his way over only to find a large spider mech terrorizing the city. Quickly, he flew to the top and landed, facing the spider demon. Her back was to him, until she turned with a sinister smirk.

"Oh, Monkey King!" She chuckled, looking smug and confident. "Well, isn't this a nice surprise? Finally come out of hiding just to see me?"

Wukong was unimpressed. "Didn't know you were so desperate for attention, Spider Princess." He smirked at the end.

Spider Queen's smile fell into a frustrated frown. "It's Spider Queen, sub human."

"Whatever."

"Thought I'd have to deal with the kid before you. But since you're here... I can destroy you first." She slammed her spider legs into the stone, and the blue flames went out. Spider Queen launched at the simian king under the cover of darkness with a battle cry.

It was a few good minutes of dodging and punching, before Wukong heard a string of whispers behind him.

"Come for me."

He smirked, none the wiser. There. He yelled, reeling back for a punch—

Only for MK to dodge by a hair the last second, sending the simian's fist into the metal door. At first, Monkey King was confused by this figure, until MK looked up to meet him dead in the eyes, his dark brown hair fading to a snowy white, and his eyes glowing neon blue. Wukong stared in shock.

"Kid—?"

He was thrown back by a powerful force, and then snagged and slammed into the floor by a web. Before he could make a joke or something usual, the web strings electrocuted him, causing him to scream in agony.

Through it all, he could make out his voice. "Congratulations on your victory, My Queen."

It couldn't be—

The last thing he saw before passing out was the smirking face of his successor.