The Newcomer (Percy POV)

Percy POV

So far, it had been a chaotic summer for Percy. He'd almost died in the Second Titan War and everything that happened with Annabeth. But it had also been one of the most amazing summers he had ever experienced. Everything was back to normal, he'd been in school for a few days, and there were no major prophecies and quests, other than the occasional load of monsters.  Besides, he had gotten to spend the holidays with his girlfriend.

So when he got a call from camp to come immediately, he groaned in despair. In the message, Chiron had spoken in hushed tones, as if he was worried about someone hearing him. Percy had never heard the wise, old centaur sound so frightened. It was as if the world was hanging from a single thread, and it was up to him to save them all. 

Without hesitating, Percy grabbed a bag and exited his room. He found his mom in the kitchen, baking a batch of her famous cookies. By the time Percy had finished explaining Chiron's ominous call, the bell on the oven rang loudly. Before Sally could grab the cookies, the door swung open. 

"Hey, I brought some groceries." Paul said with a smile, "Do I smell cookies?"

Sally nodded and propped them into a large plate. "Just for you, since apparently, Percy has to go back to Camp Half-Blood." 

Percy stared at the cookies, his mouth watering with hunger. "I can stay a little longer..."

Within minutes, the cookies were devoured. With hugs and tearful goodbyes, Percy was off to camp. 

By the time, he had reached Delphi's Strawberry Service, there was nearly a horde of monsters chasing behind the car. But Percy kept his cool and made it safely to camp. Thalia's pine tree stood guard in front of the entrance. The drizzling rain started to pour at a quicker pace, so Percy raced into Camp Half-Blood. 

The pouring rain immediately stopped, and Percy smiled at the familiar sight. Demigods fought and trained with each other, while pegasi riders soared through the sky. But the best sight was waiting for him right outside of Cabin 6. 

A tall tanned girl stood waiting for him with a smile on her face. Her long blonde hair swept down to her waist in perfect curls. A single streak of gray hair was barely visible, but it still brought back painful memories. Her fierce stormy gray eyes could scare someone with a single glance. But the second their eyes connected, her glare vanished

Percy and Annabeth leaped forward to greet each other with a kiss. They hugged for what felt like hours, before stopping to chat. Percy told her about Chiron's hurried call, and Annabeth gave a knowing glance. 

Before she could tell Percy about what Chiron meant, a boy around their age walked towards them.

He had messy blonde hair, which looked like it had once been styled intricately, before being ruined thoroughly. The boy had ice-blue eyes with a mischievous twinkle as if he was considering the easiest way to prank you. He was wearing a dark blue shirt that went up to his knees. It looked like the most uncomfortable thing Percy had ever seen. His gray pants contrasted with his tall brown boots. 

But instead of the guy being the hilarious joker Percy expected him to be, something seemed off about him. He stared down at his shoes as if he had faced a past as brutal as Percy's. But unlike Percy's war, his seemed like it was never going to end. The guy was much too old to be a new camper, but Percy had never seen him around here before.

Something was off with this guy, and Percy knew it.

Before he could say anything, Chiron galloped towards him. "Percy, glad to see that you have arrived safely. Please meet Keefe Sencen." 

Percy waved towards Keefe, and he nodded back with a slight grimace. Percy noticed this and looked towards Annabeth, who looked at Keefe with an eyebrow raised. 

In the distance, Percy could see some of the girls from Aphrodite giggling and blushing at them. He frowned at his girlfriend, who pointed to Keefe with her eyes. 

"Anyways, I know what you are thinking, and you are partly correct. Keefe is not a half-blood, he is an elf." Chiron spoke timidly, amongst the gasps.

"Elves are real! You mean those people with pointy ears and curly shoes?" Percy questioned. He examined Keefe closely, and sure enough, he didn't have pointy ears.

The guy laughed and quickly covered his mouth as if he was scared to make a noise. 

Chiron rolled his eyes, before speaking, "Only the most ancient elves have pointy ears. But we are getting off track, the elven world and the godly world made promises millennia ago to never meet. But I fear now it's too late. The worlds have collided, and there's no hope in severing the bond. Both our species have different problems, and if those forces unite against us, our only chance to save our worlds is to ally ourselves against them. So it is time for me to do what I once hoped it would never come down to." Chiron breathed heavily before continuing. "Percy, Annabeth, you are my most skilled half-bloods. I know you have just finished a tiresome quest, but you are the only demigods powerful and experienced enough for a quest like this. Pack your bags, it is time for us to meet the councilors." With those words, the centaur trotted away.