22. River of Dreams

Though they still saw each other in class, in passing around campus, and for the occasional coffee, it had been harder for Joey and Lauren to spend time together with finals looming on the horizon. But one gloriously sunny Saturday when the temperature was expected to hit 90, no one was in the mood for studying, so Lauren asked Joey if he wanted to meet.

"Do you have a bike?" she'd asked on the phone.

"Sure," he'd replied, not sounding entirely confident for what should have been a straightforward answer, and she did wonder how he was going to show up. But when he arrived at her door wearing a tank top, shorts, and sunglasses, he had a bike at his side.

"We're finally out of fake spring, I guess?" he said.

"Yes we are," she replied, lacing her shoes and grabbing her own sunglasses and the bag she'd packed with snacks, water, and a book.

Though it wasn't yet noon, Lauren could feel the intensity of the sun on her head as they walked to her bike and unchained it, the metal almost scalding her fingers.

"Are we going far?" he asked.

"Not too far. We could have walked, but I like biking." Especially on a day like today, where she wanted nothing more than to feel the breeze on her face.

They wheeled the bikes to the road before climbing on, Lauren checking for traffic before pedalling off in the direction of a trail. When she reached the turning, she glanced back to make sure Joey was still following her, and pointed. Now they could bike side by side, with no traffic to worry about, and beyond the noise of it too. There was only the sound of their wheels on the ground, the gears turning. Forest lay on either side of them, shading them from the heat of the sun but allowing dappled light to hit their faces. Off of the smooth tarmac, Joey wobbled slightly.

"That's not your bike, is it?" she guessed.

Joey laughed, though he kept his eyes fixed ahead of him in concentration. "I borrowed it from Brian," he said, not needing to question how she could tell.

"At least one of you got the bike memo."

"What do I need a bike for when I'm the best driver in LA?" he argued.

"You know what I really love about you, Joey?" she said. "You're so humble."

Unlike him, Lauren did have the luxury of being able to look anywhere but straight ahead, and so she watched him laugh, feeling a warmth even more pleasant than the spring air spread through her at being able to make him do that.

They fell into peaceful silence while they kept cycling, Lauren reminded how much she loved this. Her tank top was starting to stick to her back with sweat but the breeze through the trees was cool. Her and Joey's legs pumped in synchronicity.

Eventually, she led them down a smaller trail branching off the main one, and they came out to a clearing with a river running nearby, not so close that they'd be swarmed by bugs but enough that they could hear the tranquil bubbling of water. It was one of her favourite spots, and from the moment she got up that morning she'd known it was the perfect place to take Joey.

They dismounted their bikes, and she picked a tree that had the best shade to lay them under so they wouldn't scorch themselves when it was time to ride back.

"Oh shit, you know what I forgot? A blanket," she said, peering at the ground. It should be dry enough, but she was annoyed at herself for forgetting when she'd thought about it as she was getting ready.

"It's a good job I got one, then," he grinned proudly, pulling one out of his own bag.

"I actually might be a bit in love with you," she said without thinking, realising her mistake as soon as she met his eyes and saw the yearning look in them. It wasn't fair of her to say things like that, and a rush of regret and guilt filled her. The moment seemed to stretch out forever with their gazes locked, but then Joey blinked and shook out the blanket, laying it on the ground.