Chapter 1

I need to get out of here.

I barely have enough food to last me a day. I already rationed it with all that I could, but it just wasn't enough.

I'm contemplating whether or not I should beg, no, ask, for food from my neighbor, a girl named Unity.

Like me.

Hi, I'm Unity Anne Hollow.

And I need to go right now.

I'm planning on going to the convenience store in front of our subdivision to scavenge for food, maybe even sanitary products if I'm lucky, and water.

Since it's night time, I figured the walkers outside would be slow since the night is much colder causing their limbs to go stiff. They'd go to a place where it's somewhat warm now.

I wanted to walk towards Alfamart, the convenience store, but thought my e-bike would get me outside quicker.

But I have a problem.

For the e-bike to turn on, I have to press the unlock button on my key, causing it to beep two times and would lure some walkers into our street, endangering the lives of me and my neighbor.

Should I risk it?

I pressed the button.

I quickly got outside and locked my door, sprinting towards my e-bike and straddling it before putting its key in the ignition and starting it.

What's good about my e-bike is that it's silent. Some walkers can't hear it but some who are near me did and were trying to grab me as I passed them. I tried to avoid as many as possible, but even with my glasses, I can't see because it's dark.

My e-bike does have headlights, and I do have the option to turn them on, but I don't know...

Should I risk it?

I turned on my headlights, causing me to see a walker in front of me that I almost hit if I didn't swivel to the right.

I also cursed loudly at the fucking walker.

As soon as I got to the gates, I forced my e-bike to ram onto it in hopes of opening it. My dumbass didn't think that the gate was too sturdy because it almost broke my front wheel!

Right, opening the gate it is.

The creaking of the gates signified its lack of use, which I hadn't given much thought of as I got on my e-bike. A wave of protectiveness and guilt towards my neighbor consumed me, and I find myself closing the gate on the other side to prevent more walkers from getting inside the compound.

I rode my vehicle outside whizzing past the subdivision office and in front of Alfamart and parked my e-bike there. The road is actually deserted, no walker in sight. At least one of my assumptions is right.

I figured that since everyone abandoned their houses or workplaces right now, I decided to leave my weapon, an aluminum bat my brother had, outside together with my e-bike. Gosh, being reminded of my brother and how I couldn't help him when he turned brought tears to my eyes, but I wiped them away.

I turned on my flashlight, opened the glass doors and went directly to the chocolate section. Knowing how much I craved chocolate and considering my blood sugar was low, I had to eat something really quickly.

I found my favorite, Ferrero Rochers and eagerly ate them all, not paying attention to my surroundings because I'm so hungry.

A snarl brought me out of my chocolate heaven, my flashlight unintentionally shining toward its direction.

A growling zombie who was once a store clerk was making its way towards me, his footsteps heavy on the floor.

I barely had the time to scream when he tackled me to the ground and I struggled against him, trying to get him off me, but he was so heavy.

With great effort, I tried to sit up using my elbows but the zombie pulled me back, his rotting teeth sinking into my stomach giving me the most painful sensation, I have ever felt in my entire life.

I finally mustered up enough strength to kick him away and stand up, my hand putting pressure on my exposed stomach with the bite as I crouched down to lessen the bleeding.

I ran towards the staff room, locking it behind me as I rested against it, my tears finally falling at the realization that this is the end.

I got bitten.

And I have no one to blame but myself.

I don't know how many hours I cried and rested, or how many hours do I have left, but I found myself standing up and looking at my wound. It was now leaking yellow pus and black blood, with veins littering around it.

I opened the staff room only to find the zombie store clerk sniffing the air. At this point, I don't really care anymore. I went near him and he snarled, but he didn't attack.

Huh... weird.

I paid him no mind as I went towards the junk food aisle where next to it was the chocolate section. I want to at least eat my last meal before I become like him.

Of course, it's Ferrero.

While I was eating, I tried to remember all the happy times I've ever had.

There barely was one.

That's when I realized that I was just surviving, not living. I lived in this world only to die with it. I lived with little to no childhood, with traumas and problems that I haven't healed from nor solved. I've become a burden to everyone I loved.

And I pity myself for that.

I laughed, mocking myself, my situation, my life!

I can feel the chills running up my spine as I slowly lose consciousness, my vision dimming as I feel something slowly creep inside my brain, like a parasite.

If only I had a gun.

I had to trouble the next person who ever comes inside this convenience store.

Even in death, I still became a burden.

*Creak*

The last thing I heard was a whistle before everything went black.