Chapter 5

After defeating the galra ships, the paladins made their way to the castle's lounge. All exhausted after the battle they slumped onto the couches. Lance sat closer to Keith than usual, making Keith look back on their somewhat recent exchange. Despite knowing Keith was a hotheaded guy who likely would make irrational decisions, Lance still supported him and acknowledged Keith as the new black paladin. But the thing that struck Keith the most was Lance's warm hand that rested on Keith's shoulder as he said it. Shivers had raced up his spine and Keith had thought it to be disgust or something of the sort but failed to realize the pounding of his heart and the heat rising to his cheeks. Now he was experiencing a similar feeling, accompanied by a sense of guilt.

Lance took a glance at Allura and saw her staring at him. He found himself uncomfortable and so he hastily stood up and headed for his room while saying, "I'm tired so I'm going to go take a nap, wake me if you need anything."

After he left, Allura hissed, "Must he really take a nap? Or is he just trying to avoid doing anything?"

The others remained silent. This would continue on for the many battles thereafter. Princess Allura (sometimes Keith or others) would criticize him and no one would stand up for him. Finally, the day came when they would face Zarkon. However, Keith could not bring himself to be excited. He remembered so vividly Lance saying, "I can't stand to stay in the castle for longer than I have to."

No matter what Keith did, the thought remained in his brain that after the battle was over, he might never see Lance again. He managed to shake it off right as they began the battle that would change the fate of the universe.