Chapter 9

As Lance walked away, Keith swore he heard him mumble, "You really are just a selfish human."

On instinct, Keith rushed after Lance. It was only until they had entered the walls of the Garrison that Keith finally caught up and pulled Lance into an embrace. Lance flinched and struggled a bit but ultimately gave up and relaxed within Keith's embrace. Keith then whispered into Lance's ear, "Don't you ever say that again."

"What? Since when did you care about me?"

Keith turned Lance around to face him, "I don't know, but I do know that you are not selfish in any way."

A voice then called out, "Lance? Lance, I had a nightmare."

They turned to see a young girl holding a plush toy, clearly on the verge of tears. Keith released his embrace and Lance rushed to the girl's side, crouching down to look the girl in the eyes, "Don't worry, I'm right here. It wasn't real."

Keith stared at Lance's face in awe. The way Lance looked at the girl made Keith realize living without them and instead living here on Earth had made Lance seem brighter than before. Keith felt a sense of guilt, for it was partially his fault that Lance didn't feel that way with the paladins.

Soon enough Keith heard the others walk through the door. He turned to face them, Lance lowered his head a bit to stare at the floor as he hugged the girl whom was crying a minute ago.

Allura beckoned for Keith, "Come, they're holding a meeting, we are going to discuss our course of action."

Keith followed reluctantly, not wanting to leave Lance. He took a glance over his shoulder to see Lance smiling at the girl. In that moment Keith decided that he would do anything to keep the people that made Lance smile safe, even if it cost him his life.