Chapter 14

The White Rabbit Nightclub is packed when we arrive, we spent almost ten minutes trying to find a parking spot. Since the club doesn't card, it mostly consists of underage college students.

Pulling down the mirrored sun shield I fix a few strands of my hair.

"You look pretty," Marcus smiles. "With the whole..." he gestures to his own face. "Glitter?"

"You mean highlight?" I chuckle.

"Yeah, sorry. I don't know much about makeup."

"I didn't know you had dimples," I lean in with a coy smile. He smells...strong and masculine.

"Oh?" He leans in looking at my lips.

I kiss his dimpled cheeks and then his lips. "Mm," I put my finger on his mouth, "Let's save some for later." I bite my lips, giving him one last kiss before stepping out of his car.

His sister Maya is waiting for us in front of the club, she has the same dark skin as Marcus and looks to have the same mannerisms too. She holds onto the waist of a girl, bringing her close in as Marcus does to me.

It feels a little odd being the one in the "protected" role, but his tall height is comforting. They even have similar outfits, except Maya's is a bit looser than his.

She gives me a hug and dab's up her brother and introduces the girl beside her--Tania, as a friend. Which I don't think pleased her.

A few drinks later were all deep in the crowd of dancing bodies. The music get's faster and my hands move up from his waist to his shoulders as we move to the rhythm.

Someone taps me from behind and I see a blurry Maya dancing with an older woman. She hands me two cups of something and I hand one to Marcus.

I can feel my body numbing and soon enough I can't feel my face.

The music turns to bachata and he leans to my ear, "I lead."

I giggle as he turns me around holding my stomach and dancing side to side, he kisses my shoulder and kneck then spins me again.

His hands roam to my ass pressing us together and kissing my lips, gripping the back of his kneck I deepen the kiss.

I squeeze his ass and he gasps into my mouth reminding me of Lucas, and that thought alone made me moan.

He takes my hand interlocking my fingers, leading us through the crowd. I focus on the tattoo on his forearm with blurry vision, It looks like an angel holding a bleeding sword.

"Ah!" I cover my eyes letting go of his hand, and the people around me start shoving and yelling. Marcus pulls me into his chest, shielding me with his arms as we sway between people. I feel his chest rising up and down.

"Fight! Fight! Fight!"

I forgot how often a fight breaks out at this club. Marcus turns us and heads for the restroom, then I'm suddenly stumbling between people.

"Shit! That's my sister!" I see a foggy version of him running into the crowd like a raging bull and disappearing in a cloud of swirls.

I feel nauseous as I glide my hand along the wall, I bump into someone leaving the restroom making us both stumble.  

Reaching the sink, I splash water onto my face trying to get rid of the dizziness. I look up at the large mirror, my face is pale as blood drips down from my eyebrow. 

A napkin appears in front of me from a red-haired guy smiling at me. He's wearing all black and looks to be a couple of years older than me.

"Thanks."

"No problem." He goes to stabilize a guy stumbling in.

I press the napkin to my brow and the corners of my lips pull down, I struggle to find an empty stall with tears rolling down my cheeks.

I waddle into an empty stall and press my forehead against the cool door, I clutch my chest.

I don't want to lose him I cry, I don't want to lose my best friend.

I shouldn't have kissed him. I begin hyperventilating trying to fish out my phone from my tight pants.

I will not lose him. Even if I have to beg for forgiveness for the rest of my life.

The call connects immediately.

"Hi, um." I sniff, clearing my throat. "Can you..." My voice breaks, and I lean onto the wall steadying my breath.

"Can you come to get me?"

"Is Marcus not bringing you back? Because that's a red flag you know." I can imagine him perking his lips like a know-it-all.

"I just...can you just pick me--up. I'm at the White Rabbit and there was a fight." I try unzipping my pants but the rings on my fingers wouldn't let me.

"Are you okay? Did you get hit?"

"Yeah," I breathe out. "I'm gonna--" I gag covering my mouth and vomiting all over the toilet seat.

I wipe my mouth with the bloody napkin which just made me gag more. 

I poke my phone to see the photo of Marisol, Lucas, and me, It was one of our first sleepovers. It was our first and last time getting high, and now every time I stare a little too hard at a cereal box, I get the strange urge to punch it.

Stepping out of the stall the redhead hands me a piece of gum. "I heard you in there...yeesh."

"It's not poison, I promise." He lightly chuckles at my narrowing eyes.

I think about it for a second then shrug taking it anyways. The sound of sirens replaces the music and everyone runs out.

Walking with one front in front of the other, I try to be as straight as possible.

I giggle, "I'm not even straight."

I excepted a gust of cool air to hit me as I walked out and instead everything felt humid. Walking past a few cops I pretend to be on my phone, they spare me a glance and I wonder if I look as unsteady as I feel.

"Arlo!" Someone yanks me back from a speeding car.

"I told you to..."

"What? Wait!" I forcibly widen my eyes to see the corners of him frowning and his dark eyebrows furrowed.

"Lucas," I breathe jumping up and wrapping my arms around him.