Chapter 23

We turn to the door hitting the wall and his sister stumbles inside with a red-haired girl in her arms.

"Oh, Maya!" The girl moans throwing her shift off and Marcus and I lean back trying to hide in the couch.

The girl somehow manages to lift Maya onto the counter.

"Woah baby! Hold on," Maya breathes and the girl giggles innocently. I slap my hand over my mouth as Maya slips to the floor with her pants wrapped around her ankles. She stands up trying to play it off with a cool attitude before they start kissing their way into her room.

I look at Marcus opened-mouthed and we break into laughter. "Oh my god, does that happen often?" I sit up.

He nods, "What can I say? My sister can pull."

"And so can her brother," I climb on top of him, squealing as he stands up I wrap my arms and legs around him and he lays on top of me.

"Yes, yes he can." He kisses me pressing himself into me and his hands roam down my chest. "You should move in," he whispers, kissing my jaw.

"What?" I pull back.

"You sleep over all the time so now all you have to do is bring your things."

"Not all the time."

He arches his brow, "You've been staying for almost two weeks."

"Two weeks?!" I prop myself on my elbows and he moves off me so I can sit up.

"I'm not complaining, I love waking up next to you and going to school together but..." He goes on saying something about underwear and I glance at my phone and realize I haven't spoken to him in two weeks.

I don't if I should be feeling disappointed or proud of myself.

"I'll think about it."

He pops his bottom lip out and I give it a quick kiss, "I promise."

      Stepping into my apartment felt odd, I don't know if it was me or the thermostat but I felt hot and shaky. Theirs a smell I hadn't noticed before--his smell of woody amber, warm vanilla, and mandarin. An unforgettable scent.

The door closes behind me and Lucas's eyes flick up from the stove, he's got darkness under his eyes and redness in them. He looks lanky with his shoulders hunched over, almost weak and delicate.

"You're...home?" He swallows painfully, his voice scratchy.

"You're sick?" I drop my bag by the door racing to him, his face looks flushed and I go to touch his forehead but he steps away.

His eyes slant with a glare and my hand drops to my side.

"No," he pours boiling water into a mug with a tea bag in it. Wrapping himself in his gray blanket he shuffles to the sofa, his slippers sliding across the wooden floors.

I cautiously follow behind him, pulling silence along with me.

He lightly blows into the cup, keeping his eyes on a Grey's Anatomy episode with two doctors dancing in a small room.

"Are you..." I hesitantly sit next to him, "Crying?" I whisper and he scoots away from me making my heart clench.

He shakes his head sniffing, "I'm sick."

I half-chuckle, "Thought you said--"

"Well, I am," he scoffs rolling his eyes.

"Are you...angry?"