★ ray | If There Was Happiness

─── ・ 。゚★: *.✦ .*:★. ───

Type: Sweet
Warnings: Sad
AU: Modern AU Collage

─── ・ 。゚★: *.✦ .*:★. ───

You are a college student. It's your junior year. Through the years you lost and gained friends. Meet nice people. Formed groups lost them. They never really stayed until you got used to it.

The only one who hung around was Ray. You met him in Art History freshman year. Then had math with him the next. You both failed that class. The two of you get along quite well. You are both just still in the acquaintance faze. He has offered to introduce you to his friends. Though sadly you always tore him down with reasonable excuses.

Right now you both taking biology together and see each other often enough throughout the week. You two may meet up and go on a study session. Today was one of those days. Ray failed his last test and you didn't do all so shabby either.

It was around mid-afternoon. The two of you left class and walked to the tutoring center. He talked about how his week was going and how one of his old girlfriends got together with someone. He was still friends with his ex but not as close as they once were.

"I don't know about you but if they end up being my ex I wouldn't want to talk to that person anymore." You say gripping your bag strap.

Ray shrugs, "She's in my friend group so if I dip I'm leaving everyone."

"Ouch."

"Yeah, hey you want to have lunch with us together tomorrow?" Ray asked yet again. He doesn't ask often but once in a while when it revolves around him talking about his friends.

You shrug, "Not sure. I will text you if I can. Do your friends even know about me to begin with?" You ask.

He nods, "Only one. I mentioned you to him a few times." Ray brought up.

You rose a brow, "Oh? Why just one?"

"I mean hey, let's be real. We're just acquaintances who occasionally study together and maybe get boba a few times a month."

For some reason, him saying this to you stun you. More than it should. He wasn't wrong. You two don't text every day and you both don't hang out often enough. The two of you only know so much about each other.

"Damn well, that's true. I can't argue with that." You grumbled slightly realizing you both approached the building. Sighing softly you push open the door letting him follow behind you. You did your best not to let what he said to get in your head.

What makes matters worse is recently you began to fawn over him. You are slowly developing feelings for him. Not being close to him helps those feelings not to develop and makes you happy about it. Though deep down you want to meet his friends. Want to become friends? Closer.

The duo studied for over an hour. Ray occasionally asked you about information while you did the same. Sometimes he explained the answer to you while you nod and write things down.

"Be honest, what grade do you have in this class?" You ask scribbling notes on the paper.

Ray snorts, "A low sixty."

"Hey, that ain't bad."

He just nods and checks the time on his phone, "Hey it's getting late. Wanna call it quits soon?" He asked you.

You sigh flipping the page and noticing it was the last one. "Sure once I finish this." You quietly flip through the book and start reading a chapter.

Ray looks over to you and scans you. You dressed in a very nice brown academia. Brown platted vest and grey pants etc. He surprisingly smiled slightly just staring at you. You didn't notice being lost in the paragraph you were reading. Though he did notice you seemed tired and worned out the closer he looked at you.

Ray often saw you in passing. Though he would mostly see you eating alone or chilling by yourself. For some reason he became concerned.

"Do you have friends?" He suddenly blurted out, "Shit I'm sorry stupid question."

He broke your train of thought as you froze. Your mind became blank and fuzzy. Slowly you began to nod, "Yeah." You say faintly. You didn't bother asking him why he suddenly wondered.

He sighed softly, "That's good." He looked back down at his notes and fooled around with his pencil. "Wanna get dinner after this?" He had plans to go out to dinner with his Trio. Ray himself didn't even know why he suddenly asked you this. He could feel himself grow warm so he just fiddled with his book.

You bit the inside of your lip before letting it go to speak, "Huh?" You blink.

"I asked you out for dinner." He says blandly.

You are still processing everything. Instantly you look over at him trying to find words to say. "I... you don't have any plans tonight?"

He shakes his head. His phone lit up with a notification from his friends. A bubbly one telling both of them she's getting ready to leave the house. While the other one was driving.

He looked at his phone and turned it over shaking his head, "No, if I did I wouldn't have asked. I want to get to know you better." He finally comes clean.

"You do?" You asked, "Well alright." You started packing up forgetting about finishing the last page of homework.
"Want to head to old town? We can get ramen or Italian food. I can pay for my bill."

Ray shakes his head packing up as well, "Don't sweat it. I don't mind paying for you if you want. I can drive us and then I will drive you back so you can drive home."

You humm blushing slightly looking away from him as you both then head out. The next few seconds were spent with him quickly typing on his phone. You didn't ask what he was doing. Emma and Norman finally met up while Ray said some last-minute plans came up so after that he muted the group chat.

You to both scan out of the lab. He reaches to open the door meeting you out first. It's dark. Since it's the city theirs not to many bright stars. You pull out your phone to check minimal notifications as he swiftly grips your hand softly.

Your eyes stare deadly at your screen not baring to look over. Didn't he friend-zone you earlier? What was all of this? Ray was contemplating telling you how he feels now or after. It made sense to tell you at the end. Though he exhaled and looked over at you.

"Hell, I think you're pretty."

You bite the inside of your lips again and turn off your screen slowly looking over at him.

"I think you are too." You say softly. "I... think I like you." You slowly let out.

"Well lets find out." He snickers.