Chapter Seventeen: Dirty Horchata

Chapter Seventeen

FINNEGAN DELA TORE

The next time I saw Isagani was that he was already lying down at the hospital bed at the CEA clinic. May division na glass yung pagitan namin and I am not sure if he can see us. There were six of us inside the clinic lobby, all strangers to me. I was sure Tina mentioned all the names but I quickly forgot them. My eyes are fixed on Isagani and my pounding heart was overwhelming my emotions and I feel like I am on the edge of everything.

"The doctor said his body just responded to a stressful reaction he had probably today or earlier this year. Yung reaction nya very similar daw to a panic attack." Jacob muttered. "All I know is that, Froilan saw what happened when he started to have a panic attack."

This time, Froilan spoke but he hesitated. He seemed confused to what is happening, actually all of them do not have a clear idea as to why Isagani is like this. But of course, I knew and I don't have the guts to tell them.

"Basta kasi sa Concrete naming subject, nagdidiscuss lang yung prof namin ng about sa components ng tulay. Katabi ko si Isagani tas may binubulong sya at nagulat na lang ako ng tumayo sya tas sumigaw sa klase ng may itinapon daw sa tulay sagipin daw namin. Promise, nagulat kami pati prof di alam ano sasabihin."

"But I saw you guys eating at the cafeteria," a guy named Santi said.

"Pinakalma ko kasi si Isagani since pinalabas din muna sya ng prof para magpahangin." Froilan continued. "Sabi nya kasi hindi sya makahinga tas inabutan na kami ng lunch break kaya dumiretso na lang kami doon."

Suddenly, a nurse went out from the bed area and came near to our group. "Hello, sino si Finnegan sa inyo?"

My heart skipped a beat. So can he remember me already?

Everyone was looking at me and I forgot that they were waiting for a response. My fear was concentrated on the fact that things might not go well as I was anticipating. Kasi to back track lang, my father was the police who caught his father, a drug dealer. I'm not sure if he is going to pin who's the bad guy or the good guy in this situation but I'm pretty sure he'll be upset no matter what.

"Finn," Kenzo uttered. "Go, pasok ka na. Baka may important na sasabihin."

I limped across them and towards the nurse. As I neared the glass door to the bed area, I saw Isagani sitting up right with all the buttons of his polo down. He was sweating, as if hyperventilating. When I saw him like that, all the fears died down. I felt a shot of adrenaline.

"Are you okay?"

Isagani ignored my question. "Sorry, pinatawag ka ba nila? Naistorbo ko pa klase mo."

I tried to see any sign in his eyes that he can already recall me but instead all I see in him is the usual Isagani who's always one breathe away to making sure he was not pissing me off. Not the Isagani who is straightforward and carefree.

Hindi ka pa rin nya natatandaan Finnegan.

"No, stop. Don't apologize. To make you peaceful, napadaan lang ako dito kase ano," I tried to think of a lie and then suddenly, a thought passed to my thought.

"I was helping Kenzo find a vocalist for their band."

Isagani was silent. He looked outside and I believe he tried to confirm if I was with Kenzo and pretty sure he was able to see him.

"Enough of me. Kamusta ka? Anong nangyari sa yo?"

He started to wipe the built up sweat in his forehead. Although nakaopen na yung polo nya ay may sando pa rin syang suot. He was taking a pause probably trying to think of a reason sa nangyari.