•9•

Chapter 9: Lost?

Taemin's heart pounded in his chest like a relentless drum as he stood by the window, anxiously scanning the desolate streets below. The hours stretched on, each minute seemingly dragging him further into the depths of worry and dread. Nia should have returned hours ago, and the longer she remained missing, the heavier the weight of uncertainty bore down upon him.

"Where could she be?" he muttered to himself, his voice tinged with concern. The cold, biting wind outside seeped through the windowpane, causing him to shiver involuntarily. Knowing that Nia could be out there in the unforgiving night chilled him to his core.

Taemin knew he couldn't sit idly by any longer. Determination welled up within him, overriding the weariness in his limbs. He quickly changed into warmer attire, bundling up against the cold that awaited him outside. With a quick glance at the clock, he slipped into his shoes, the urgency propelling him forward.

The city's darkness was relentless as Taemin roamed the streets in search of his sister. Hours seemed to blur together, one indistinguishable from the next. He ventured into dark, foreboding alleys, past dimly lit corners, and through eerie, abandoned buildings. But still, there was no sign of Nia. It was as if she had vanished into thin air, swallowed by the shadowy abyss of the night.

Frustration and anxiety gnawed at Taemin's resolve. He was determined not to give in to despair, but the uncertainty weighed on him like a heavy shroud. The pain in his legs, his labored breaths, and the chill of the night seemed insignificant in comparison to the looming threat that Nia faced.

Finally, after a desperate and fruitless search, he retreated to his car, a sense of helplessness washing over him. He slumped into the driver's seat, his anger and frustration vented in a fierce slam of his hand on the steering wheel.

Taemin couldn't contain his worry any longer. Fumbling with his phone, he dialed a number he had hoped not to need. The call connected, and he wasted no time getting straight to the point.

"Hyung, she's missing," he said urgently, his voice laced with tension. "I have no idea where she could be. It's been hours, and there's no sign of her."

His words hung in the air for a moment before he listened to the response on the other end. It was a conversation that left him with a mix of emotions hope that help was on the way, but also the harsh reality that Nia's life was teetering on the edge of uncertainty.

As he ended the call, Taemin knew that he couldn't afford to waste any more precious time. With their mother away on a business trip to Brazil, he had a limited window of opportunity to find his sister, to protect her from the shadows that lurked around her.

Determined and fueled by a brother's love, he vowed to leave no stone unturned until he unraveled the mystery of Nia's disappearance and ensured her safe return. The night was far from over, and the streets held their secrets, but Taemin was willing to face whatever challenges lay ahead to bring his sister back home.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••