•8•

Chapter 8: Could it be her?

The night had draped the city in its velvety darkness, enhancing the beauty of the moon and stars that adorned the sky. Jong-suk found solace in this peaceful scene, allowing himself a moment of respite from the burdens of his daily life.

As the car glided through the empty streets, he gazed out of the window, lost in contemplation. However, his reverie was abruptly interrupted as the vehicle screeched to a sudden halt, jolting him forward.

"What's wrong? Why did you suddenly stop the car?" he questioned, his eyes still trained on the night beyond.

"Master, a girl fainted in front of the car," the driver replied, causing Jong-suk to shift his gaze to the driver.

Typically, he wouldn't have bothered with the plight of a stranger, but an inexplicable compulsion stirred within him, urging him to extend a helping hand. It was a feeling he couldn't quite shake, one that overruled his usual indifference.

Exiting the car, he approached the motionless figure on the pavement, her long hair obscuring her face. One of his guards moved forward to lift the girl, but Jong-suk halted him, choosing instead to cradle her in his arms. With a stern command, he instructed the driver to speed towards the nearest hospital, unwilling to risk any harm befalling the girl.

As he held her fragile form, he couldn't help but wonder about her identity. With the girl's mask covering part of her face, her features remained a mystery. But as he gently removed the mask, he was met with a sight that left him stunned.

Her eyes, her nose, her lips they all bore an uncanny resemblance to someone he had lost, someone he had mourned for years. A peculiar scar marred her face, but the familiarity of her features left him dumbfounded.

"Could it be...?" he wondered, his heart racing. He knew he had to get her to the hospital as quickly as possible to ensure her safety.

••••••••••

"Mr. Cha, how is she?" Jong-suk questioned, fixing a steely gaze on the trembling doctor who stood before him. The hospital staff, still in shock at the unexpected presence of the powerful Kim family, watched with trepidation.

The doctor, his voice quivering, replied, "Master, she isn't in good condition—malnutrition, dehydration, and signs of physical abuse have taken a toll. Her body has gone into an induced coma to protect itself."

Jong-suk's anger flared as he absorbed the doctor's words. He had little patience for incompetence and indifference, especially when it came to matters of life and death. His voice was stern as he addressed the trembling physician, "I don't care how you do it, but I want that girl safe and healthy. Failure is not an option. You have my word, consequences will follow if she doesn't receive the best care."

The doctor, now thoroughly terrified, could only nod vigorously, unable to muster the courage to utter a single word.

Jong-suk retreated to his office, where the weight of responsibility bore down on him. He couldn't fathom why this girl had affected him so deeply. Perhaps it was the striking resemblance to someone he had lost, someone he had cherished.

"Dad?" a voice called from behind him, and he turned to find his son, Hoseok, standing there.

"Yes, son? Do you need something?" Jong-suk replied, though the turmoil within him remained hidden beneath a calm exterior.

Hoseok, unaware of the storm brewing within his father, approached with a pendrive in hand. "No dad , I'm just here to pass you the pendrive for tomorrow's presentation," he explained.

Jong-suk nodded, dismissing his son to give himself a moment to collect his thoughts. His mind was in turmoil as he grappled with the revelation of the girl's identity.

His wife had entered the room, sensing that something troubled her husband. She settled beside him, concern etched on her features.

"What's wrong?" she asked, her eyes filled with worry. "You seem troubled. If there's something on your mind, you can always share it with me."

Jong-suk hesitated for a moment, torn between confiding in his wife and protecting the fragile secret he had uncovered. In the end, he chose to offer a partial truth, sparing her from the burden he now carried.

"It's just some office work, love, don't worry," he assured her. She nodded, taking his words at face value, and soon, she drifted off to sleep beside him.

Alone in the dimly lit room, Jong-suk couldn't escape the turmoil churning within him. The girl's arrival had stirred emotions and memories long buried, raising questions that demanded answers. He couldn't deny that her presence had unsettled the carefully constructed walls around his heart, and he knew that his world was on the brink of a change.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••