5

Bonnie sighs as she glances out the window, realizing that the sun is almost setting and she has done absolutely nothing the entire day. She was supposed to spend the day with Mackenzie, holed up in the library and studying for her midterms, but no, she's at the plantation mansion, trying not to hurl every single thing she eats. Morning sickness is a lying, deceiving bitch, because it's there the whole day, making it impossible for Bonnie to do anything else.

"You know, little one, you have to be nicer to me. I can't spend the whole day in bed," Bonnie says, addressing the small bump that's already there. It's still weird when she thinks there's actually a baby in there, and not last night's dinner. And it's also terrifying to think that child also belongs to Klaus, and what that could mean. "Your dad likes to terrify the masses, has a huge ego, but I know that he will love you as much as I do."

That's the only comforting thought in this whole situation. She knows her child will be loved, and she won't go through the same ordeal she did. There will be no wondering why her mother left or why her father wouldn't spend more than three weeks straight at home. Loyalty in the Mikaelson family is unwavering, even if they don't show it properly.

There's a knock on the door, and Bonnie looks up from her laptop to see Elijah with a hopeful look on his face.

"May I come in?" he asks, that courteous tone of his present in his voice.

"Sure, I'm not doing anything right now." She shrugs and pushes her laptop away. She doesn't really know why Elijah wants to talk to her, since the two of them barely exchange words. He and Klaus spend most of their time dealing with town politics to pay attention to her. Bonnie doesn't mind, though. She's got school and friends to keep her busy, not to mention the conflict between the witches and the vampire. There was never a dull moment in her life. That is, before she got knocked up.

"Rebekah told me you were feeling unwell," he states, looking a little hesitant.

"Yeah, whoever dubbed it morning sickness is clearly a liar. I only stopped hurling in the past hour."

"If you're that uncomfortable, we could have a doctor come here," Elijah offers, and Bonnie smiles a little. As annoyed as she can get with Elijah, she will always appreciate his little displays of concern.

"It's okay; I'm stocked on crackers and ginger ale." She points to the minibar in the corner of the room. Rebekah proved she could be a nice person when she wanted, and made sure she had everything she needed. "Not that I want to be rude, but..." she trails off, watching as Elijah smiled a little, dropping his head.

"I just wanted to make sure you are feeling well. It's been a long time since there was a pregnant woman around us."

"A pregnant woman you didn't want to kill, you mean," Bonnie says under her breath, even if she doesn't see the point in muttering. She's sure that Elijah heard her very clearly. He looks at her with a mixture of shock and regret, making her feel bad. "Cheap shot, sorry."

Elijah raises his hands as if to show no offense was taken.

"I am aware there is a lot of bad history between us, but I honestly do hope we can overcome that. You're going to be the mother to Niklaus' child, and that is more important than anything else."

"I guess," Bonnie concedes, even though she doesn't really believe they will be able to put everything behind. Well, she won't be able to do that, not as fast as Elijah would like.

"I understand your hesitation. Be assured that I will do everything in my power to make sure you and the child are safe."

Bonnie thinks of Marcel, Klaus' obsession with throwing him over, the witches that want him dead. All of that doesn't make the safest environment to raise a baby.

"Why are you doing so much? I mean, Klaus is the father and he's here with me for two hours, tops. You, on the other hand, are always here, checking on me," Bonnie asks. She's always been curious to understand why Elijah is treating her like a precious porcelain doll ever since he found out she's pregnant. It can be a little cute, but she's not used to this much attention from anyone, much less from the guy that had a hand in her mother turning into a vampire.

"I've lived for thousands of years, and I still can remember how my life was when I had my family together. As you've come to know, my father wasn't the most tolerant of men, but we were as happy as we could be. There was not hatred or sorrow between siblings, only affection and loyalty."

Bonnie notices that he's staring out the window, as if he could see images from his past. As much as she doesn't like the guy, Bonnie can't help feeling bad for him. It must be really horrible to remember such a happy time and knowing that it will never go back to being the way it was. Too much happened for them.

"You think this baby will come out of the womb and make it all better? That's quite a responsibility for a newborn."

"I don't see it as a responsibility, but as an opportunity for this family to be whole again. This child will bring some of that happiness we haven't experienced in a long time," Elijah says this with such certain that it makes her a little anxious.

"That remains to be seen, actually. I thought Klaus would kill me when he found out."

Bonnie can still remember the fury in Klaus' eyes when he found her positive pregnancy tests. It was such a cliché scene that she felt she was in a teenage show, with her starring as the pregnant teen.

"Niklaus likes to pose himself as a man with ambitions and no feelings, but that's his strategy to avoid exposing himself. That's one of the many effects left on him by my father Mikael. He's scared of having a family and everything ending in that same vile way."

Bonnie thinks of the enemies Klaus acquired along the way, how nature contorted itself to make this pregnancy possible, and she figures Klaus isn't exactly wrong to be afraid. People would die to hurt Klaus in the worst imaginable way, and trying to get to the baby is the most logical choice.

"I get scared too. Not to the point where I ignore all my emotions, but it's a little terrifying to think that some many people hate Klaus and the lengths they would go to destroy him."

Elijah sees the distressed look on the girl's face, and he starts to regret having started this conversation. It was supposed to help her understand how he felt about the impending arrival of her child, but it clearly had the contrary effect.

"You don't need to concern yourself with that. We will make this house into a fortress if we have to, and you and the child will be safe, I promise," Elijah says with such intensity that Bonnie has to look away. He clears his throat, giving her a small smile to go with the faint one she threw him.

"Thanks, Elijah."

Bonnie likes to think that this is the first step she's taking to finally forgive Elijah. He is as fiercely protective of her unborn child as she is, and that makes him alright in her book.