15

It was early spring, and all of the plants and flowers at the plantation's expansive garden were starting to come to life after a long winter. Bonnie, for one, was anxious to leave the cold weather behind and go back to spending time outdoors. The grounds, specially the backyard and the orchards, were transforming into a beautiful picture, one that was quite irresistible to her.

Being outside, feet stained by the rich soil under her and surrounded by all of the green and chirping birds had become her therapy. That was exactly what she needed to calm her mind.

A pretty flower, a blush pink carnation that has yet to bloom, caught Bonnie's attention for being the only pink in a sea of white and bright red. Smiling, Bonnie kneeled on the ground, not caring if it would stain her light jean shorts, and held the stem of the flower between her fingers.

"You're beautiful, but a little shy, aren't you?" Bonnie asked as if she was talking to a timid child.

It might sound weird to others, but to Bonnie it made total sense. After years of being taught by Grams that she owed nature nothing but respect, Bonnie was used to seeing them in a different light.

Her magic, much stronger now because of her daughter, swirled under her fingertips. It caused a tingling sensation throughout Bonnie's skin as it left her body and dripped over to the flower. Much to Bonnie's delight, the carnation started to bloom. Almost in a tentative manner, the pink petals spread out until they reached full bloom.

Standing from afar, Klaus watched the scene before him with an amused smile. Utterly enthralled by the environment around her, Bonnie didn't notice his presence. At some other occasion, he would've made himself known, but for now he was content in watching her. Tending to the bed of flowers with a touch of magic, his witch had a smile stamped on her face and looked carefree. Halfway though, it was clear to Klaus that pregnancy agreed to Bonnie. Even when doing a mundane task such as gardening, Bonnie glowed. Her dark brown hair seemed to be shinier, as did her skin. She looked stunning, and most importantly, she looked happy.

That was how Klaus wanted to keep Bonnie for the rest of the times, and it bothered him that he wasn't able to shield her from all of the chaos that was about to hit them. After all, what was the point of being the most powerful creature if he couldn't even protect those cared about?

"That's better, right?" Bonnie crooned, grinning in satisfaction with her work. Without hesitation, she wiped her hands on her blue tank top and stood up.

"You do know that we have gardeners for that, don't you? No need to be slaving over the plants," Klaus announced, finally making his presence known.

Turning around, Bonnie flashed him a row of pearly white teeth in a wide smile and shrugged. True to their game, Bonnie tried to pretend she was annoyed with his snobbish comment, but she just couldn't hide the joy she felt when seeing him.

"When did you get back?" Bonnie asked, moving towards him. When she got in arms' reach distance of him, Klaus took the opportunity to pull her into a tight embrace. Well, as tight as her growing bump would allow. With their bodies close together, Bonnie tried to study his appearance and determine his state of mind.

Both Klaus and Elijah had been gone for the last five days, embarked on a search for clues in Bucharest. The Johann matter was still glooming over them, even three months after their encounter with Gale, the suicidal vampire. Even though there had been no attacks or known threats, the whole Mikaelson clan- including Bonnie- was hell bent on discovering the identity of the elusive Johann.

With lines etched on his usually smooth forehead, Klaus looked exhausted. On top of that, he seemed way too lovey dovey, which could spell doom.

"Okay, tell me what happened," she demanded, taking a step back and disengaging from his arms.