10

They don't go to the Grille for their anticipated 'Bonnie will come clean' lunch. As the most popular place to eat in Mystic Falls, the chance of running into someone she knows is quite high and she wants to avoid that. Knocking on Caroline's door wasn't part of her grand plan when she had fled home in the middle of the night. With Mackenzie, her friend and confidante from college, currently out of the country in a ski trip, Bonnie had been yearning for someone that could listen to her.

It's one fifteen when Bonnie climbs out of Klaus' sleek black Audi, her brown suede boots cackling loudly on the pavement of Tracy's' parking lot. The hostess greets her with a bright smile and leads her to the table where Caroline is seated. The blonde looks a little anxious, judging by the way she glances at her watch and taps her nails against the tabletop. Bonnie completely understands her friend. Her own nerves are as frayed as an old and tattered shirt.

"Hey Care, sorry I'm late," Bonnie says, putting on a smile that is bright enough to hide her discomfort. Her strategy appears to be working when Caroline responds with an excited smile. Internally, Bonnie sighs in relief. The conversation is bound to get uncomfortable, but it doesn't have to start that way.

Ten minutes in, their glasses are filled with sweet tea and the air round them is filled with tension. Bonnie notices they are already in awkward mode. Why was she trying to fool herself? There is no way they could sit down and act like two long lost best friends. Not after everything that's happened. Also, she knows Caroline; the blonde is definitely very upset she's been lied to.

"It looks like I'll be the one to break the ice, huh?" Bonnie says under her breath. Gifted with supernatural hearing, Caroline is able to hear her and it's almost like her mask drops. The cool-as-a cucumber façade Caroline has put on is replaced by a nervous expression. "Just ask me, Care. It will make things way easier if you do."

A little hesitant, the vampire swirls the lemonade inside her glass. There are so many things she wants to ask that it's hard to form a concise line of thinking.

"Why did you do this? Why did you leave? This is your home, Bon."

The question doesn't surprise Bonnie, but it's interesting how Caroline seems to have no idea why she would want to get away from Mystic Falls. Her friend had always been the look-on-the-bright-side one, even when the world kept knocking her down. Her dad, becoming a vampire, her mom and then dealing with Tyler; Caroline had always been able to deal with it all. For a moment, Bonnie is jealous of her friend's resilience.

"I was tired of playing the magical Negro." Bonnie answers, surprised at the blunt way the words are coming out. This conversation has been played in her head many times before. She would always play the part of the apologetic friend who regretted leaving. Caroline is just as surprised, with the way her eyebrows are almost blending in with her hairline. There's a little glint of hurt in her bluish greeneyes, making Bonnie feel guilty. The urge to apologize, say she didn't mean it is strong, but Bonnie swallows that with a big gulp of sweet tea. What's the point of doing all of this if she's going to revert to her old ways and lie to protect someone else's feelings?

"What? Bonnie I-" Caroline starts to say in protest, and Bonnie interrupts her with a raised hand.

"The expression may be harsh but it is what it is. That's what I was to you, someone with the ability to unfuck everything," Bonnie says. It feels good to finally get these words out and not worry about any repercussions. It may be an extremely selfish thing, but being able to focus on herself instead of others is amazing.

While Bonnie's feeling lighter, Caroline looks nothing but horrified. The blonde is left gaping for a moment before her face takes on a devastated expression. The expression of someone who finally understands what Bonnie wants to say.