Chapter Six

"Are you ready to tell me what happened?" I asked her the following morning.

She was sitting in bed and I'd made her a cup of tea, cradling a coffee I'd made for myself.

I'd stayed over, I'd slept on the floor by her bed.

"After you left, I got to my car and I heard footsteps behind me. And when I turned I saw his face. It happened so fast, he just gripped my neck from behind and shoved my face into my car window. And when I was on the floor, I was lying on my side and he kicked me. He said something to me, and that's when I knew it was him." She said, already crying.

"It's okay, Tor. You can tell me." I urged, sitting opposite her on the bed, careful not to sit on her legs.

"He said that it wouldn't stop him. It was a piece of paper, worthless. The police won't help." She said, swallowing hard.

Her hands were shaking and I made a point of gently touching her arm, providing support.

"Hey.... You're safe." I whispered.

"For how long, Eddie?" She asked, sounding tired.

"I can't answer that. But the sooner you let us all in, the sooner we can figure something out." I said.

"I can't drag you all into this." She said.

"We've all already volunteered." I replied.

"I couldn't even defend myself.... Self defence classes really worked." She scoffed, more at herself.

"Only a coward attacks from behind. There was no way you'd have had time to pre-empt what he was going to do." I argued, rubbing her hand softly.

"When I left, I was confident. I stood up to him in my office that day. And now? I feel like I'm back to how I was and I aren't even with him anymore. I feel like I've regressed." She said.

"Torvi, this isn't a setback. It was a completely unprovoked attack, just like they all were. When you were with him and after. How could you have defended yourself when the piece of shit purposely jumped out of the shadows and attacked you from behind? No one would have been able to." I said.

"I don't feel good, Eddie. I feel sad and I feel low." She admitted.

"Have you called your therapist?" I asked her.

"We spoke on the phone, she mentioned medication." She said, sighing.

"What can I do to help?" I asked her, as she shook her head.

"Honestly? I don't know." She admitted, sounding lost.

"Would it help if I stayed with you and the girls? Or if I stayed here with you for a few days?" I suggested.

And the minute I did, I watched her shut down on me.

"You have a life Eddie, I don't want you to stop living it for me, even for a few days." She said.

"Can you stop being such a martyr? For just one second. How is crashing at your house or here gonna stop me living my life? I've crashed plenty of sofas in my time and it didn't stop me living- not at all. A few days, a week tops! Until you feel better, just let me do this." I pleaded.

"It's either those two options or you're living with me for a few days." I warned, knowing she'd never opt for that.

And just like I knew she would, she flat refused.

She didn't outright say it, but what she said was close enough.

"At my house, with the girls. One week. I'll be fine after that."