Chapter Twenty Two

** Epilogue **

Six months later.

"I thought I might find you here." I said, walking up behind her, as she stood over the memorial for her son, in the garden of her loft.

She'd wanted somewhere private for him, where she could remember him and be in her safe place.
We'd buried him a few days after she had been discharged from the hospital and slowly but surely, we were moving on.

"I was just talking to my sweet boy." She said, sighing softly.

"Hey little Prince..." I whispered, with a weak smile.

Chrissy had been sentenced to 18 years in prison, and from what I'd heard, she'd accepted it; she hadn't protested or appealed it, she had taken it and was six months into her sentence.

Travis' death had been ruled as self defence, and there were no charges against Torvi.

And so, that chapter in her life had finally closed.
She'd been granted the closure she'd needed at long last.

I wrapped my arms around her from behind, and she moulded into me perfectly, seemingly grateful for my embrace and she rested her head against my shoulder.

Torvi had received compensation from the Cunningham family, as way of an apology.
It had taken her weeks to accept, seeing it as guilt or blood money. However, his parents had been informed of everything, all evil that they're son had done and they were coming to terms with grieving for their son, so they'd thought they'd known. The truth was, they didn't know him as well as they'd thought. And to find out the lengths of his depraved, abusive nature had been very difficult for them.

And eventually, the compensation had been paid into her account whether she protested or not.
Mainly because I cashed the cheque.

In my eyes, it was a small price to make up for what she had endured. And I knew that his parents would feel as though they had made their amends somewhat, even if it was with money.
They had paid for the headstone that we were now standing in front of, and had paid the necessary fee for him to be buried here and not in the children's cemetery.

Now, we had the relevant license for his final resting place to be here.

Here, the place we were now making our home.

Yes, we had moved into the loft together and we were making it ours. We'd had everything converted, using the money given to Torvi.

The old kitchen had been replaced with a new open plan one, with emerald green cupboards and marble counter tops, the living room was now comprised of laminate flooring, fur rugs and photos of us littering the newly painted, black panelled walls.

We'd moved her cosplay collection into a bespoke built walk in wardrobe, and our bedroom was grey and white, with hints of ochre yellow.

We'd moved out of our respective houses and we were now living here together, in perfect relationship bliss.

"This is the ending to my story, the one I've always wanted." I whispered in her ear as she smiled and chuckled softly.

"Mine too. It was always the dream." She said.

"And here we both are. My story always had you in it." I said.

"I took my sweet time." She said, as I laughed.

"Some things are worth waiting for. I'm glad you were on the dance-floor that night, I'm glad you let me buy you a drink, and that you promised me a dance." I said.

"I'm glad you're a Vengaboys fan now." She replied, as I playfully tickled her sides.

She writhed in my arms, laughing and squealing as she broke from me and ran inside the house.

I chased after her playfully, and she slowly led me into the kitchen.

To a pregnancy test on the side.....

"I wanted you to see this." She said, before turning to me, her eyes fixed on me as she gauged my reaction.

I slowly approached the kitchen side, my mouth agape in surprise and happiness all rolled into one.

I could hardly believe it.

"You're pregnant?" I asked in disbelief.

"I was as surprised as you are.... But yes I am." She said, as the smile spread across my face and all the way up to meet my eyes.

"I'm gonna be a daddy?" I asked, reaching for her.

"You're gonna be a daddy." She said, as I enveloped her in my arms.

"Is that what you want?" She asked, suddenly unsure.

"It's everything I want." I said, holding her tightly.

"I'm so happy." I added, as she wrapped her arms around me and we excitedly embraced each other.

"It's a good thing we have a spare room now." She said, giggling.

"For our beautiful little miracle baby." I said, kissing the top of her head.

"This is the happily ever after I always wanted." She said, squeezing me tight.

"Mine too, sweetheart." I whispered, unable to believe my luck.

"Baby, I love you." She said.

"I love you. I love you so much." I replied.

And as we stood in our kitchen, looking around at the home we had already built for ourselves, we stood in silence, both envisioning our new addition, that was slowly but surely on its way.

This was the life we wanted, and now we could both say we finally had that life.

And we had that life, together.