Chapter Seven

"Chrissy seems really nice."

I set my coffee cup down as we sat in our usual cafe, outside in the sun.

He was sitting opposite me, in a Metallica t-shirt, blue skinny jeans and black converse.

"She is, she's a good girl." Eddie said, with a smile.

"It's going well?" I asked, as he nodded.

"Yeah, we've been on a few dates now. It's good to see you're healing well." He said, apparently wanting to change the subject to me.

"It's been a couple of weeks, I'm getting used to the pain now. They changed my pain meds, I'm not numb from the neck down so much but I can manage a lot better." I said, as we laughed softly.

"You can feel your skin again." He said.
"And I'm not walking around all stiff and tense." I said.

"Ah, a few improvements then." He said, jokingly.

"You could say that." I said, with a laugh.

"Liking this fresh air and sun too by the looks of it." He said, smiling.

"I'm like a cat." I said, leaning back in my chair as he chuckled softly.

"Have you been taking it easy?" He asked me.

"I wasn't getting told off by you again." I said, as he rolled his eyes.

"It was for you own good Tor." He said.

"I know. Thank you for staying with me and looking after me. I know I was hard work. I just don't handle feeling vulnerable very well." I said.

"You know you don't have to explain yourself to me. It was just hard watching you refuse help when you really needed it." He said.

"I don't like weakness." I said.

"Because you were told for so long that it was a bad thing when it's not. There's a lot you can learn from it and it's nothing to be ashamed of. We all have moments of weakness." He said.

"I spent so long being that way. It's hard to let myself be that way. I have to fight it." I said.

"You don't, but I understand why you feel like you had to." He said.

"I know I'm a basket case." I said, sighing.

"Good job I like a basket case." He replied, as my heart lurched.

"I think you just secretly pity me." I joked as he shook his head.

"I told you, I wouldn't dare pity you." He said, smiling.

"You felt sorry for me though." I said, as he raised an eyebrow.

"I was worried about you. You were hurt, scared, and shaken up. You needed your friends around you. That's not pity." He said.

"I guess it's not, no." I said.

"You have plans later?" He asked.

"Steph is going to see her mum for a few days, and Cat I think is going to see her boyfriend, he's in town. Me and the sofa are going to watch a few rom coms." I said.

"Do you?" I asked.

"I do this afternoon, and then I'm as free as a bird." He said, smiling.

"What are you doing this afternoon?" I asked.

"I'm having lunch with Chrissy." He said, as I regretted asking.

"Where are you going?" I asked, trying to sound innocently interested.