Chapter Two

Two days later, Lilia returned to the school dormitory at Bandung road, she met the teacher who was also the guardian of the school's dormitory to say thank you. After that she said, "Teacher, I want to start my career as an entrepreneur from now on, please guide me."

"What is your plan?" Mrs Ai asked.

"As a student cooperative shop manager, I want to produce my own healthy food and snacks that students can make themselves. At the same time it can help poor's students and willing to work earn an income." Lilia explained her plan. "For this purpose, I need permission from you to use the dorm kitchen, of course after cooking times for the dorm friends who have a cooking schedule."

"When will you start?" Asked the teacher. "You have to manage your time well, and don't disturb your school."

"Yes, Ma'am. I will always remember your advice." Then Lilia explained her new business plan which she will start next week on Saturday after school.

On that weekend, Lilia and Kana made candy using apple as the basic ingredient. Lilia told Kana that she wanted to explore making candy from various types of fruit, and she started with apples because apples are synonymous with Malang city. Besides, who doesn't like apples? Almost every day Lilia buys fruit salad with apples in it. Lilia's two favorite fruits in the fruit salad filling are apples and pineapples.

On Saturday night that week, Lilia and Kana (a friend who needed financial support) went to the dorm kitchen and prepared apples, lemon, a packet of jelly swallow plain, boiled water, white sugar for dough, white sugar for sprinkling, and silicone jelly molds. After washing the apples and lemon, Lilia peeled one of the apples and then cut it into small cubes while Kana gave the apple slices with lemon juice and immediately cooked the apples mixed with fifty grams of white sugar. She cooks until the apples are soft and thickened and then removes from the stove.

Now it's Lilia's turn to do the same for the other unpeeled apple as a green dye that is typical of the local apple. "The apple caramel isn't green, right? Lilia said to Kana. "Looks like it needs to be added with food coloring to emphasize the green color."

"How many?" Asked Kana. "A drop?"

"Yeah. Mix it with the sugar water, then we'll see if that's enough."

Kana did as Lilia instructed.

"This is so beautiful, the color and the smell of the fruit. I feel like I'm drooling." Lilia chuckled.

"You're right. The kids will love it." Kana nodded her head while smiling.

The two girls continued to work and chatted happily, commenting on their fruit candy which had been doused in hot jelly in the bowl of white apples and bowl of green apples. After that they prepare a heart-shaped mold, then pour the caramel slowly over the mold.

"Since childhood I really like sweets that smell of fruit," Lilia reminisced about her childhood. "Our work is like a dream come true for me. In the future I will have to save a lot of money so I can pay my dentist bills."

Kana laughed. "Is that how you like to chew candy?"

"You don't?"

"My family is too poor to buy me candied fruit," Kana told without any sadness on her face, as if her life story was a simple one.

"Let's promise each other," said Lilia wholeheartedly. "We will work hard until we succeed in setting up a fruit candy company for you."

Kana laughed happily, then said, "For us, pal. Even though I know you don't have to because your family never lacks."

"I did it for my own future anyway," Lilia shrugged. "No one can predict destiny in this life. It could be that you come from a wealthy family, but everyone's sustenance has its own path, its own destiny, which must be fought for on its own. By the way, in the future I want to be financially independent. Don't want to raise my hand again, even to my own parents."

"Me too," Kana chimed in. "I really hope to lighten the economic burden for my parents."

"May our dreams will come true." Lilia cupped her hands together like she was praying.

"Please make our dreams come true, O Lord." Kana also solemnly agreed.

After realizing that the two were in the dorm kitchen, and not in the school mosque, the two girls laughed silently. Signs of mutual understanding, that their dreams are worth living and fighting for.