Chapter Four

Walking down the long corridor of the school dormitory, that afternoon, as the drizzle fell slowly and the air felt colder, Lilia subconsciously shook her head at the realization of one small part of the diary about the "Lilia marriage" that the girl had considered while she was a high school student. "That's outrageous." She regrets. It was like one body with two heads and two opposing thoughts.

The 'old' Lilia who has been afflicted with suffering has taught her about the social constructions that shape the mentality of every girl who is under patriarchal pressure. These girls are taught to understand that they are weak and need a man's protection. They are educated to obey the will of the man who will become her husband. This type of marriage is very pathetic but the wives generally accept it without being critical (because they don't understand that it is a wrong habit and not part of true religious teachings), even when they are subjected to violence and dragged to the brink of death. So, why get married if it is clear that you will only get unfair treatment from a patriarchal husband?

Lilia suddenly thought of her teacher, Mrs Ai, who never married, and lived the life of a teacher and in charge of the girls' dormitory as well as any other professional. Mrs Ai is in her fifties, a slender person and her speech is low but clear as is common in Javanese.

It must not be easy for her to stay single, Lilia thought. Her other self had endured the trappings of patriarchal pressure until Lilia was in a situation where she lost her courage and was forced to endure a bad marriage.

"In the patriarchal world, if a girl decides to be single, then the whole world will oppress her." Lilia grumbled at the void of air. "Mrs Ai must be a determined woman," Lilia thought continued. She was applauded, while her other self, of the same age, had never even had time to contemplate it. That is why she fell into the abyss of patriarchy, simply because she was reluctant to think and lazy to investigate further the chronic social problems that have plagued women for a long time. But more than anything, a little misery of youth had robbed her of her patience, so she naively hoped for a savior prince to appear like in a fairy tale but never in real life.

Lilia constantly reminded herself, "God is my savior."

On the day when she appeared strangely into the world of her youth, Lilia immediately asked God to protect her from a fatal mistake that she would later regret, when trapped in the vicious cycle of the patriarchal system.

Lilia had planted the awareness that she cared for every second and minute with all her heart, that she was her own; because patriarchy will never allow a young girl to determine her own happiness (as if life belongs to men only, where they play the main character and women just playing a supporting role).

The following weekend Lilia added candied pineapple to the list of candy preparations she would sell on Monday. The bright yellow color of the pineapple seems to be cheering up a week full of enthusiasm.

"The smell of pineapple for me is not only very sweet but also has very religious memories." Lilia told the story of her childhood while busy working. "During the fasting month of Ramadan, pineapple slices are always available on our family dining table. It feels like the month of Ramadan is incomplete without pineapples."

Kana laughed as Lilia laughed, then said, "Perhaps your skin as bright as a pineapple comes from the pineapple family's genes. Sometimes I wonder, how could there be such a beautiful and white girl?"

"Maybe I am beautiful, but not that pretty, and your words inspired me to name this pineapple candy after a pineapple girl, that's unique." Said Lilia. "Can attract attention. Trick the market."

"You're right," Kana gave a thumbs up. "By the way, you are not only so beautiful but also brilliant. Perfect girl! Lily, leave some for me!" Kana sputtered and then heard her laugh that rippled at the end of her words.