Chapter Fourteen

Hello Diary,

Born among pools of blood, nature's cries

But fluent in interpreting signs

Inside me time flows

Within me are the lights

My chest is ocean

My eyes are overflowing with water

Why not just remove the wrinkles on your forehead?

To let yourself be free to embrace conscience

Laughing happily here

Playing the dance of the universe

Let me introduce you to my father, the sky

And my mother, the sea

Where the silky wings are as soft as the night song

They will be waiting

Like it used to be,

They faithfully wrote a message on the back of the time

"When the winding road leads you astray, my love. Waving at the sun until you pleases him to look with a light of mercury in his eyes."

Lilia was overwhelmed. Without the monetary crisis, the life of the urban poor would have been very difficult. Now many people have lost their jobs and sold their property one by one.

"My father sold our house and then went to look for work to Jakarta," Kana told the condition of her mother and younger siblings who are now living at their relatives' house. "If you don't mind, can I earn money from cooking and washing the clothes of the female students who rent rooms in your house?"

"If they want then go ahead," Lilia agreed on one condition. "You helped clean the house, will you be okay?"

"I am a working woman as strong as a cow, if you want I can also wash and cook for you."

"You know I don't like being served."

"I know. I just wanted to repay the favor."

"Don't be like that, we're friends. It's natural to help each other. You don't feel indebted to me. If you want to do something for me, just mention me in your prayers."

"Even without being asked I always wish you the best."

"Thank you. That's more than enough for me."

"You left me speechless."

"Don't leave next semester," Lilia pretended to be fierce. "I'll help you make a banner in front when we receive orders for food and laundry. You're the one who said you were as strong as a cow."

Kana laughed out loud. "If necessary, you write on the banner that the one who cooks and washes is a good-natured female cow, diligent in working and likes to save."

"The female cow has friends....?" Lilia glared. "I'm not a cow, but a beautiful unicorn. The fairy miracle."

"Okay, what matters is that you're happy."

Such is life, sorrow is not eternal, neither is joy. There is always light after darkness. In fact, Indonesia has changed presidents after thirty-two years of being ruled by a person whose lips smile but the look in his eyes scares many people. A brave man who was eventually murdered had set up a legal aid agency known as the Commission for Missing Persons and Victims of Violence.

Political turmoil affects the lives of all levels of society. However, the reformation has opened the information valve which was previously closed tightly. Secret documents become a reference for discussion in public spaces and free pulpits.