4 | the p e r p l e x e d

| C A D E N |

    THE MORNING, Caden cleaned himself up nicely for school. He was smartly dressed in a blue pants and white long sleeved shirt paired with the complementary navy blue jacket.

Making way through the community he'd known for the past seventeen years, he saw it currently lacked life: it was too early for the corner store, that frequently got robbed, to be opened; the alley was deserted of nighttime prostitutes; the badly maintained park wouldn't be littered with kids until evening time; the run down community center, that brought people together every major holiday, still had its doors shut.

Grimacing with each step, he made it to the bus stop and waited for ten minutes until the bus came. Tapping his card against the machine, he heard a beep and dejectedly sighed. His money ran out and he wouldn't be getting paid until Saturday.

The bus driver gave Caden a sympathetic smile then motioned his head to the back of the bus.

"Thanks, man," Caden said and the driver nodded before driving off.

Taking a seat, Caden leaned his head on the window. He barely got any sleep last night; insomnia paired with pain would surely give him hell in practice today.

Lost in thought, he didn't realize when the bus trickled to a stop.

"This you, kid," said the driver.

"Thanks," Caden said, hopping off the bus. After a twenty minute walk, Caden arrived at a more upscale part of town: some women gave him weary glances and clutched their purses tighter, others pleasantly smiled in greeting.

Spotting Ryder's car, he strolled over. Once Caden was settled in the front seat, Ryder drove off. "You look like shit."

"Thanks," Caden sarcastically replied.

"No sleep last night?" Ryder pried, making Caden give him a knowing look. Clearing his throat, Ryder tried to rid the sudden tension. "I got the pills like you asked. They're in the back," Ryder said, watching Caden reach over to grab the Aleve. "What do you need them for?"

"Hurt my ankle in practice," Caden lied.

Ryder gave him a disbelieving glance before looking ahead of him. "Mom made me an extra sandwich. It's in the back if-" Ryder said, chuckling when Caden reached for the egg sandwich and hungrily dug in.

"Thanks, man," Caden said through a mouthful. Usually, he'd decline, but seeing as there wasn't ever anything at home to eat, he had to depend on school breakfast. With the traffic they were in, breakfast would be through by the time they arrived at Meadowbrook and he'd be too hungry to wait for lunch.

The friends drove to school while a Lil Baby song played in the background, Ryder rapping along.

Caden chuckled. "You know, I'm surprised you can actually rap to this song."

"Why?"

"Because you can't say n-"

"Shut up," Ryder said, slapping his friend on the forearm. Ryder's mouth dropped then he felt along Caden's forearm. "Mm, I see you're gaining a bit of muscle."

"Your type?" Caden asked, playfully wiggling his brows.

"I'm not with that gay shit," Ryder said with a faux deep voice. "I'm talking to someone."

"Same guy?"

"Yes," Ryder said, complexion turning red.

Caden shook his head as Ryder parked before the school.