46 | the t a p e

| Z O Y A |

THE BALLROOM WAS BEAUTIFULLY DECORATED - from the glistening chandeliers, to the glitter on the flooring, from the golden tablecloths, to the marble statues.

As always, Wesriveria dipped deep into their funding to ensure its senior students had an experience that would be one to remember.

For most students and faculty, it gave a welcomed distraction from the death of a professor. For Zoya and Caden, it gave joy to be back in each other's presence.

Currently, they were standing by a wall, debating which school would've won the trophy if extracurriculars weren't canceled.

They got interrupted by a boy who Zoya guessed was one of Caden's Meadowbrook friends.

"Match?" he asked Caden.

Placing a foot to rest on the wall behind him, Caden shook his head.

The boy spared her a quick glance before saying to Caden, "Aiight.", and walking off.

Once he disappeared into the lively crowd, Zoya questioned, "Match?"

"It's nothing," Caden quickly replied.

"Babe."

He sighed. "Quan was asking if I'm tryna smoke."

Zoya's mouth dropped. "You smoke?"

"When it's my off season, yea. I just deal during the season."

"You sell?!"

He snapped his head over with a glare. "Zoya."

"Sorry," she quietly apologized. "I'm just. . . shocked."

I thought my Caden was a goody two shoes.

He shrugged and looked back to the crowd. "I haven't smoked in a minute."

"Why not?"

He glanced at her. "I don't have to anymore."

Nodding, she looked away and saw Malique who was standing by himself. Maybe it was because she now knew her cousin's sexuality, but Zoya noticed something she'd overlooked before - how Malique's eyes trailed male students.

Suddenly, he tensed and Zoya followed his gaze to Pia. Pia was standing in a corner, far from the towering statues. They shared a long stare before Malique glared and walked away.

It saddened Zoya.

Though they were always knocking heads, Malique's and Pia's relationship worked. They'd been together for years so she could only imagine how they felt. Especially because they still wore color-coordinating attire. Like Zoya's and Caden's ruby red, Malique's and Pia's royal purple would've made bomb pictures.

When Malique disappeared, the music changed to something slower. Caden leaned off the wall and extended a hand to her.

"I- I can't dance," she whispered.

He scoffed. "You?"

"I can't slow dance."

"Me neither," he said, giving her a pressing look.