Chapter 19

The early indications of dawn stretched out in front of Sydney, but the endless canopy overhead blocked any light and created a frustrating darkness. It caused disorientation to what direction she was heading. She hadn't thought through her plan beyond creating distance from her captor. Her bare feet ripped open from the rocks and debris beneath her did little to stop Sydney from running. The prospect of escape kept her moving. Tree branches scratched her face and bare arms, but she ran. Ran as fast as her tired legs would allow. A sound of flowing water caught her attention and with an abrupt turn she changed direction to find it. Large overlapping rocks and boulders lining a roaring river greeted her as she broke through the trees. She stopped long enough to get her bearings and figure the best way to go. Seeing a bridge in the near distance lit a flicker of hope within her. She could follow the river to the bridge and to people. People that could help her.

Wasting no more time, Sydney began to navigate the rocky terrain. Every few steps she'd look up to see if the elusive bridge was getting any closer. It was only when headlights curving around the bend and towards the bridge, she felt her heart beat faster and she picked up her pace. She had to make it to the road and get their attention. As she stumbled towards the embankment, a crack echoing through the ravine had Sydney slowing. It was the ground bursting in front of her that made her pull up fast and stop completely.

"Don't move!" A booming voice ordered.

She aborted her escape when she recognized he had caught up to her, and having the higher ground gave him a clear advantage. She had nowhere to go beyond leaping into the river, which she wouldn't even consider as an option. Sydney remained still, her arms up in surrender, her eyes closed in a brief defeat.

She had managed a spontaneous escape due to her always having a handcuff key and small blade sewn into the cuff of her pant leg. She silently thanked her Green Beret father for teaching her so well. While crammed in the trunk of the car she squirmed and moved to get her cuffed hands in front of her, find the key, and get them off as they made it to their location.

He could have shot her but didn't, instead, he released a warning shot. It meant that he needed her for something, but she still didn't trust that he wouldn't shoot her there and decided she would take the gamble and surrender. But, only long enough to get back to wherever he was to keep her and try again when an opportunity presented itself.

He began to sidestep down the sloping hillside, his gun trained on her. His forward momentum picked up speed and he began to lose his ability to stop. His body bent forward while his leg turnover increased, and within seconds, he was out of control. He arched his back to rebalance his weight to try and slow down before he reached the rocks, but the muddy surface only caused him to slip, his footing was completely lost. His arms flailed and he called out in his distress. Sydney tried to distance herself from his panicked reach. She was almost free when his hand dug into her and she immediately went over the rocks, tumbling into the water. The frozen temperature shocked her system and she gasped at its sudden assault. All she had was her ability to control her reaction as the current ultimately controlled her body.

His panicked thrashing and grasping hands found Sydney's leg and gripped hard. He became an anchor that weighed her down. She was barely able to suck in a breath before he pulled her under again. She tried to twist and kick him away but his powerful grasp held her down. The fast-moving current and icy water only added to her struggle. Realizing she couldn't fight both, she let her body go limp. In a last attempt to save himself, he used her as leverage to make it to the surface. With his success, she felt his weight lift. Her relief was brief as she was still tumbling and pounded by the rocks the flowing water careened over. The original threat of her captor vanished as the frigid and whipping water began to win out. Every time she returned to the surface she tried to see where and how she could save herself. Trees and rocks dotted the shoreline but nothing was within reach, and she was too weak to fight against the water's pull. The best she could do was flow with the turbulence and hope it wouldn't be a violent end.