Chapter 3

Above Paul's Bait and Tackle was Quail Lake's single office police department. One could almost miss it if it wasn't for the large banner encouraging volunteers to support and join the fire department. Kenzie pushed through the glass door, giving a generous yet forced smile and wave to Paul. Moving past him, she headed towards the stairs. Before she could climb up to the two-desk bullpen, Paul's voice was stopping her.

"Umm, Kenzie," he called, shaking his head. "Not today."

"Not today, what?" she asked, her attention towards the noisy activity above them.

"I think you know why not today."

"Then of all days, you would understand I need to talk to my sister."

"I know. It's just that the Chief said no-" He stopped speaking and with reluctance handed her a nametag with Visitor written in Sharpie.

She looked it over with slight annoyance. "This is a joke, right?"

"Afraid not. For my sake, I warned you."

Kenzie frowned with disapproval, but relented the effort with a small sigh. She adhered it to her shirt, but couldn't help but chuckle at the absurdity of the stickers' meaning. Crumpling up the backing paper, she placed it in Paul's extended hand. He smiled and nodded at her compliance. When she finally made it to the second level she looked around the unnaturally busy office. Even with her head down, Avery wasn't hard to spot.

Though they were identical twins, it was on a weekly basis someone would comment on their differences. As it was ridiculous she wouldn't argue with the assessment. She appreciated their similarities but preferred acknowledgment of their differences. Kenzie was at least two inches taller even though Avery was two minutes older. They both sported brilliant blue eyes that contrasted with their fair skin and dark hair. While Kenzie preferred a jagged and shortcut, Avery wore hers longer which allowed subtle curls to flow. Kenzie embraced her rebellious nature. Outspoken in words, but also in appearance with piercings and tattoos. Her proudest was the half sleeve on her right arm, one she had designed herself, a tribute to her mother and their resolve. Though Avery always presented herself as a professional, she held her own rebellion. Neither of them would back down from anything they believed was right.

As Kenzie walked to her sister, she became distracted by the bustle and noise coming from the small adjoining office. A group of people dressed unlike anyone in their small town crowded the room. Her curiosity piqued more.

"Avery."

Her sister's head shot up, then she sighed in displeasure at her being there. "What's up? What're you doing here?"

Kenzie fell into the adjacent seat. "Why aren't you in there?" she asked, tossing her head in the direction of the office.

"I was, they're figuring out some logistics and it was just easier to give up my office."

Kenzie nodded her understanding then turned the conversation to her purpose. "Can we go somewhere and talk?"

"It's not the best time, I'm sorry, Sis. Honestly, you shouldn't be here."

"Come on, Ave, I saw the news."

Avery's expression softened. "Are you okay?"

"Are you?"

"I'm distracted, so I guess so," Avery said with a shrug.

"How did she die? Do you know who she is?"

"You know better than to ask that."

The man across from Avery had been watching their interaction and grunted in displeasure.

"Do you have something to say?" Avery asked, holding her own displeased tone.

"Nope. Now that the bigwigs from Redwood have swooped in, we really don't have much of a say."

"Relax, Turner. Did you forget to check that ego at the door?" Avery waved her pen at him.

Mike Turner, a part-time officer, and former firefighter. He was a large man whose uniform never quite fit. He always commented he'd lose weight before he bought new clothes, but everyone knew that would never happen. Avery laughed off his dramatic reactions, and sometimes negative takes on events. She had a continual light about her, even when things were dark she found a way to see the good. She had left a promising career in Redwood City to come back to their sleepy little town when the opportunity for Chief came up. Avery never gave a real reason to why, beyond saying she was content with the quiet and being closer to her.

"Whatever you say, Boss, but in my opinion we would have been fine," he countered.

"This town isn't equipped to handle-" Kenzie's presence had her stopping short.

"What, Ave?" Kenzie leaned in closer. "A murder? Like this place wasn't when mom was killed?"

"I can't-" Avery stopped and shook her head. "And time's change."

"Sure." Kenzie crossed her arms in frustration. "I didn't actually come here to dig for information."

Avery set her pen down and reached across the desk grabbing Kenzie's hand. "I know we spend today together and visit mom. I just can't right now, but if you need me, call, okay?"

The phone call replayed in Kenzie's mind. She needed to get her sister's interpretation, but Avery's demeanor changed, having her holding her tongue. She sat up straighter and had her attention drawn behind them. Kenzie turned to see a woman exit the office. She recognized her immediately, but she held a different air about her as she made her way through the room. She dressed sharper than the men accompanying her. An auburn undershirt contrasted with a form-fitting navy suit. Both complimented her dark skin tone. She moved with purpose and exuded extreme confidence that would immediately impress anyone. Her dark eyes observed her surroundings but kept falling back onto Avery. As she walked her tight curls bounced as they fell around her sharp features. When she reached Avery's desk she looked Kenzie over then directed herself to her sister.

"Walker, will you take me to the scene?"

"Absolutely." Avery sprung to her feet. With a swift movement tore her jacket from the chair leaving it spinning.

Kenzie jumped up before they could retreat. "It's been a while, Sydney," she said with her hand shooting out.

"It has," the woman acknowledged. "I wish it was a reunion under different circumstances."

"Is there anything I can do?"

Sydney remained silent and gave a questioning side-eye to Avery.

"No, there's not." Avery directed her response to Kenzie, but the words held an apologetic tone meant for the Lieutenant before them.

Kenzie watched them leave, plopping into Avery's now vacant chair, grumbling her disapproval.

Mike shuffled papers and didn't look up. "Looks like Cagney and Lacey are back together. I've gone from lead to coffee grunt."

"Oh, come on, you were never lead." Kenzie chuckled. "But, you know this town better than these Redwood guys. You have information you could be giving them."

"Sure," he disagreed. "I think I'll get a pastry."

Kenzie stood with him and watched him stomp away. He stopped at the small table that held a coffee maker and a stack of doughnut boxes. She glanced around. Seeing everyone preoccupied, she brought her attention back to Avery's desk. Shifting a few papers she combed through for any information. The only thing she could read before Mike scooped up the papers was a name, Madison Green. The name didn't strike her as familiar. She planned on spending the rest of the day getting to know who she was.