Chapter 9

The knock on the doorframe of the office broke Avery's concentration. Her head dropped in slight amusement to Sydney standing beyond the barrier, balancing a large pizza, two coffees, and a pastry box.

"How did you get a pizza this early?" Avery asked, moving papers aside so she could set everything down.

"I didn't," she answered, extending a coffee towards Avery. "It was Paul's from last night. He gave it to me as I walked in. I thought, why not a little variety? Coffee, cold pizza, or this warm cinnamon thingy."

"Interesting combo," Avery remarked.

Sydney opened the lid, releasing the sweet aroma. "Apparently, I've never had the real thing until I've had Esther's World Famous Chunky Pull Apart."

"Isn't it a great country that you can declare anything world famous? I bet no one beyond Redwood knows about how good this stuff is."

Sydney tore off a piece and popped it in her mouth and took a seat across from Avery. Though her raised brows and lifted smile attested to her enjoyment of the sweet treat, her tone and words switched back to the somber business at hand. "I ran into your sister and I assumed she was headed to the lake. I reminded her it wasn't a smart choice."

"I told you trying to shut the whole lake down would be the biggest task."

"Yeah, I thought she would have more sense about it."

"I don't disagree, Kenzie's strong-headed. She instantly rebels even at a soft no. Going out on the lake relaxes her, she's feeling this a lot."

"Still."

Avery threw her hands up. "Do you want me to drive out there and physically pull her off the water?"

"Are we going to ignore the fact that our victim has a missing identical twin? It's the anniversary of your mother's murder, and after fifteen years everyone seems utterly interested again because of the podcast?"

"I'm acutely aware of these facts, yes." Avery began to feel her frustration begin to tip. She had made a decision the moment Madison was found on the lake that she wouldn't feel victimized. "I won't live in fear that this is somehow connected to us, but no actual threat is being made."

Sydney drew in a breath. "It's not something I want to even consider, but it does need to be paid attention to."

"Okay, but do you want us to hole up and hide or do you want me on the front lines with you?"

"Come on, Avery." Sydney frowned in disapproval. "You know how I feel, but I won't hold my tongue." Seeing Avery wasn't going to respond she returned her attention to the pile on the desk and then to the board on the other end of the room. "Have you gotten anywhere?"

"Honestly, I'm all over the place. Listening to Grayson's damn podcast and looking for Morgan."

"What do you think you'll get by listening?"

"I don't know but he's put himself in the middle and acts like he knows something we don't. I would love to have five minutes with him."

"I've put a call into Francisco in IT to track him down."

"Good." Avery sighed. She tossed the ear buds once tangled around her neck across the desk and gestured towards the devices in front of them. "I thought having their phones, Madison's camera, and Morgan's open social media we'd actually get somewhere. Of course, we know they were here. It's a small community but the lake and surrounding mountain wilderness are vast."

"Okay," Sydney said, opening the file in front of her. "Let's stop and go back over what we know."

Avery picked up her pen and tapped the top of the desk as she spoke, "The Green sisters rent the same cabin a few times a year. According to Morgan's blog and social media, she's an avid trail and ultra runner. There are a lot of pictures of her after completing a race or trail run."