Chapter 8

Kenzie snapped the clip of her life jacket before she sealed her dry bag and threw the straps over her shoulders. As she unhitched her board from the rack above her Jeep, she took in a deep breath of the fresh earthy smell that the light spring rain had stirred up.

With the board and paddle secured under her arm, she sidestepped down the dirt path towards the lake. The rising sun created a yellow tinge to the mist floating over the undisturbed water. Spring was her favorite time of year to get out on her paddleboard. The lake held a quiet calm that was not yet touched or overcome by the tourists wanting to scream across it on their Sea-doos and speedboats. The view drew her in more and she pulled out her camera to capture the beauty presented in front of her.

Snapping photos she stood on the damp sand and allowed the water lap at her bare feet. The water still held onto the winter's cold, but she welcomed it as she looked beyond to the distant shore and the trees that bordered it. She avidly ignored the warning playing on repeat in her head. Avery hadn't echoed Sydney's concern. She figured her sister would appreciate that she had come out to paddle so she wouldn't spend her time researching and getting involved in the investigation. She instead took in the silence periodically broken up by the birds greeting the sun and each other.

With her decision made on the route she'd take, Kenzie secured her camera again and dropped her board into the water. In a swift motion, she pushed off further and leapt on before adjusting to a kneeling position. A good distance from shore Kenzie stood. With each stroke of the paddle, she watched the blade pierce the water. As it forced its way through the once glass-like surface, she appreciated the rhythm and give propelling her forward. satisfied with her speed she kept the pace and let the cool breeze sting her face. With each inhale and exhale she felt the fresh air cleanse her lungs and mind.

The sudden and loud assault of a voice pierced through her meditation, causing her to lose her balance. She quickly recovered, falling to her knees to regain control. She twisted around to see who else could be on the water at that time of the morning. Gliding towards her in a kayak was Carter. His wide goofy smile created an instant annoyance that flowed through her.

Before he could get closer she was calling out to him. "Are you following me?"

"You wish. I've already been out for thirty minutes. Based on that I'd think you were following me."

"Yeah." Kenzie grunted as she straightened further.

"So, do you have a route or just aimlessly paddling?" he asked, circling around her. The small waves he created caused her to fight holding her balance more.

"Just came out for some peace and quiet. Maybe let nature inspire some photos."

"I heard the Scarlet Gilia are blooming up at Fox Creek." He offered.

"You heard?" she asked suspiciously, following his arm extended to the near distant shore.

"You mentioned something earlier this week about it. I pay attention." His voice rose in defense.

"Relax, it's not like we had a conversation."

Carter, disregarding her comment, continued with his point, "I'm not sure why you'd bother though, there's so much beauty cruising the lake."

"Wanna come?" She asked, anticipating a negative response. He always had a comment or opinion about her choices but especially about how stupid he felt the route to Fox Creek was. The sharp inclines and tight switchbacks weren't very welcoming.

"I was just commenting, not offering."

"Oh, are you sure?" She cooed sarcastically. "Get a real workout in?"