Chapter 22

The once intense flow of water had calmed enough that Sydney no longer tumbled uncontrollably. A peaceful quiet replaced the deafening roar but didn't seem to ease her anxiety. She was beyond exhausted and battered. All she could do was float along with the now gentle current. The frigid water had numbed her body to the point she no longer felt any acute pain. The only sensation she had was the cold that pricked at her like a million needles and caused intense tremors throughout her muscles. Though the sun now shone stronger, its warmth couldn't seem to penetrate past the icy layer of water that surrounded her.

Sydney forced her eyes open to slits but regretted the moment the light bouncing off the undulating surface caused instant pain in her head. She tried until the discomfort lessened enough that she could focus on where she was. With a tilt of her head, she saw the rocky and uneven shore that bordered the river. The closest inlet was at least three hundred yards away. Sydney knew she couldn't stay in the water, but the idea of swimming felt like an impossible task. She watched as small waves and white caps formed in sporadic areas towards the shore. The water was flowing over rocks protruding below the surface. She had survived what she hoped was the worst of it. The rocks gave her hope that if she could get to one she could rest before moving on to the next. With small goals set, she found what strength she could and spun to face her new direction. She attempted a full stroke, but her shoulder refused to rotate without a sharp pain shooting through her arm.

"Doggie paddle it is," she groaned with a small kick.

Every few minutes she'd have to roll onto her back and float to try and recover a sliver of strength to push on. Sydney kept hold of the one small thought that any progress was positive and to keep moving. When she finally reached the first series of rocks she climbed to the largests minimal peak and wrapped her arms around it. She closed her eyes. Her body craved rest, but the cold held on and the violent shivers refused her mind to drift off. She raised her head and looked to the shore. It looked close, but it was an illusion. Once she got back in the water she knew it would stretch out and feel like miles. She wasn't even sure what she would do if she reached the shore, but the simple idea that she would be out of the unforgiving and extreme cold had her slipping back into the open water.

Sydney moved, but she couldn't help but feel failure lurking just below. It was a beast in the depths shadowing her movements and with each weakened kick or stroke it inched closer and at any moment would secure a hold to drag her down. She realized in the push to get to dry land, her body was not prepared for the journey. She should have stayed on the rocks. Her legs felt like lead, heavy rocks she could not release. They continued to pull her and she no longer moved forward. She fell below the surface and each time she went under her lungs cried for air. As she managed to push past the water tension, she'd expel the stale air and suck in fresh oxygen. It became the only task she sought to accomplish. She would not accept that she would not make it but her fight dwindled as the seconds passed. Her last effort was to float again and hope she could keep her head above the water.

As she drifted, a low vibration rattled through her. It began to become more intense and resonated in her ears. Looking beyond her distant confusion and foggy mind, she realized it was a helicopter flying past. Her heart jumped, a surge flowed through her, but all she could do was imagine herself flailing her arms and calling out. In the adrenaline boost, she used it to force herself to make another push to shore. When she finally felt the clay-like mud between her toes, she wanted to cry out in success, but the battle was not over. She had the obstacles of rocks and tree roots to navigate once out of the water. Beyond the water was a sharp rocky incline. A cluster of trees hid the sun, and she shook with the cold still enveloping her. Sydney crawled to a small patch of sunlight and curled up. She closed her eyes in hopes of resting and regaining energy to continue her fight.