Chapter 24

Kenzie mouthed a thank you to Paul as he handed her a fresh cup of coffee. She set it to the side before tilting forward, extending her arms across the counter, and letting her head rest on the cold surface.

"It's been quite the eventful few days, eh?" Paul remarked, pulling up a stool to sit next to her.

Kenzie lifted her head, tilting it towards the older man. She couldn't help but notice his kind eyes and quivering lips attempting a smile seemed to be begging for all to be okay. She appreciated his effort to stay positive.

"Knowing Avery's okay helps but I need to see her for myself to be satisfied that she really is."

"She's a tough cookie, your sister."

"She does put on a good show." Kenzie drew in her bottom lip with the thought of when she saw Avery at her breaking point. If they found Sydney in any other state than alive and okay, Kenzie wasn't entirely sure who she'd be seeing.

Paul patted her back in an awkward attempt to be supportive. He popped up off the stool before circling the counter to greet a few men standing patiently by the register.

"Want something to eat?" he asked, before engaging the customers.

"No, thank you."

He kept glancing over her way as he printed out a fishing license and entertained their questions about the best fishing spots around the lake.

Kenzie watched their interaction with blurred vision trying to let her mind go blank and not imagine the worst. The chime of the door alerting of a possible new customer had her refocusing. The man walking in wasn't familiar, but he walked with arrogance and exuded an irritation to even being in the store. He looked around the space before throwing his hands on his hips. His action parted his jacket to expose the badge attached to his belt.

When he caught sight of Kenzie he rolled his eyes and mumbled something before addressing her, "You call this a police department?"

His attitude and disposition gave her little desire to give him any information.

Paul cheerfully jumped in pointing to the stairs in the back of the shop. "It's actually up there, Sir, but everyone is out and about. Can I help you with anything?"

"Amateurs, leaving a civilian in charge," he grumbled but didn't head to the stairs, instead he spun around and went back outside.

Kenzie watched his actions in confusion until he returned with a woman in tow. She clung close to his side, almost as if using him as a shield. Her shoulders curled inward, her head faced downward and turned in the opposite direction as Kenzie. Her effort to avoid all contact had Kenzie looking harder to see if she recognized the woman. She wondered if she had a connection to everything happening. A possible victim, or a witness?

When the man spoke to her, she shifted her head enough for Kenzie to get a glimpse. Overtaken with disbelief, Kenzie blinked rapidly as if to clear the vision of the woman being her mother strolling past her. Her features never changed, and held a begging sadness.

It was only after they paraded past her and up the stairs was Kenzie able to shake off her paralyzing awe. She stood to follow.

Paul jumped forward, his hand landing on the glass case with a thud. The action pulled her attention away.

"I don't think you should go up there."

"Are you serious?" she croaked in disbelief. "I want to know who the hell she is."

"I'm serious." He stepped back but didn't stop voicing his concerns, "Maybe ask him when he comes down, or call your sister."

She waved him off and broke around the corner of the counter. Paul suddenly blocked her progress.