Chapter 27

When the words began to merge and blur Avery tossed the file she had opened back onto the desk. She rubbed her eyes. She let out a hiss of pain forgetting the point tenderness of her swollen face. She arched her back to stretch her shoulders, but it did little good to ease any of her discomforts. Her entire body was incredibly sore and stiff. It had felt like every organ had been shaken out of place and every time she moved something hurt. Even with the pain, she was grateful it reminded her she was alive.

The slow patter of rain hitting the window was a welcome distraction. She subconsciously took a sip of her coffee and watched the drops double in size. With their growth, the intensity in which they collided with the glass increased. She became aware of a presence interrupting her preoccupation. She knew who was there. She imagined her sister hovering in the door frame, a cup of coffee in hand, a mixed look of confusion and frustration enveloping her features. Aware she needed to acknowledge her, Avery tilted her head to greet the visitor. To her amusement, Kenzie stood as she had envisioned. Despite the discomfort it caused, Avery smiled. Kenzie didn't hesitate to enter the room with her silent greeting.

"You look like you got hit by a bus," she teased.

"More like a midsize coupe, and you don't have much room to talk. A literal mirror image, black eye and all." Avery pointed to Kenzie's wrist. "What color is that cast again?"

"Burnt orange."

"If you say so," she said with a small shake of her head and brought her focus back to the weather outside.

Kenzie worked her way into the office and sat down across from her. Avery knew in the lull of speaking or noise, Kenzie was studying the board behind her and the organized piles on the desk. Avery counted in her head how long it would take for her to begin her protest. She got to five before Kenzie let out a grunt as she scooped up a thick folder.

"You should be at home resting," Kenzie said, flapping the papers in her direction.

"I am resting, I haven't moved from this spot in a few hours."

"What are you doing?"

"Trying to find the thread of truth."

"Truth?" Kenzie opened the file and skimmed it. She closed it and let it fall heavily on her lap. Her voice grew deeper, determined to make a point. "You're going to end up going in circles. We have the truth, and it's what we've known all along."

"I don't expect you to understand. It's not hurting anyone by doing this." Avery protested.

"Sis." Kenzie cleared her throat. "I won't let you do it," she said, tossing the folder back in her direction.

"Do what, exactly?"

"Hide."

"I'm not hiding."

"I'm worried about you."

The blunt statement took Avery aback. If anything, Avery worried about Kenzie. Home is where you should feel safe and the fear of death threatened her more times than anyone should have to endure.

"Kenzie." Avery stiffened her spine. "What's your point?"

"You're closing off. I feel like you're so distant, miles away. Always here buried in whatever all this is."

"I'm right here." Stubbornness in her voice. "You're acting like we haven't talked or seen each other in weeks."

"You have always taken care of me, let me help you." She reached across grabbing Avery's hands, forcing her to face her.

"I'm fine." she repeated.

Kenzie refused the statement. "You let me cry, scream, break things, anything I need, but you, nothing. It has to be building up inside you, it's not good."