Chapter 18

By the time Avery pulled into her drive, it was a little after three in the morning. Killing the engine, she sat in the hushed darkness, fatigue rushing through her. She had given up an option of any rest to remain with Kenzie. Her twin was adamant she was fine alone, but her body language betrayed her and Avery only saw fear and nerves. Before Kenzie's mind and body gave in to her exhaustion, she held Avery's hand tight, contradicting her words of strength. With her fortitude tested at every turn, Avery felt helpless to protect her.

There were only a few moments as of late that held clarity. Sitting in Kenzie's bed, head pressed against the headboard, her sister's hand within hers, the answers were clear. She was right to step back. The last thing she wanted was to hinder the case any further. They were at least safe. Answers would be revealed, even if she wasn't prepared for the truth. Giving in to Tyson's insistence he'd keep watch over Kenzie, and the Deputy posted out front, she kissed her forehead and drove the short distance home.

Finally stepping out of her car, Avery took in the crisp air as it swelled in her lungs. Above the cluster of treetops, a cloudless sky revealed a sea of stars. Avery had always found when she felt like she was floundering she needed to pause and look up. The vast beauty above and around her had a way of settling and grounding her. A breeze rustled through the leaves, causing a loose pile to swirl and skid across the ground in front of her. As she watched them dance, a sudden unease rippled up her spine. Anxiety and paranoia filled her, but she flexed her shoulders to shake off the tension and head inside. Once she pushed the door closed and latched the bolts, she habitually dropped her keys and phone on the side table. At the same time she unbuckled her duty belt, she pulled the drawer open. With the release of the magazine, she placed the separated pieces of her weapon inside.

Avery scooped up her phone and turned to scan her living space. She decided not to bother with lights, as she planned to shower and then head back to the office to see Sydney off. She followed the sporadic flicker of the night lights along the floorboards. They created a welcoming glow that led throughout the home. When she cut around the corner, a shadowed figure standing in the middle of the room had her breath hitching in her throat. To confront the intruder, she fumbled with the series of switches on the wall. The illumination of light revealed her quant kitchen, dining area, and unwanted guest. Faced with the person in front of her, Avery found her typical quick defensive response failing.

In a non-threatening stance holding a teacup stood a pure mirror image of her mother, only decades older. Pulled back into a loose braid were streaks of gray strands layered through jet-black hair. The telling signs of age carved themselves around her face. Vibrant blue eyes Avery had always remembered dancing with joy and light, now clouded over with what she read as troubling pain. A gentle smile broke the immediate tension, but Avery found herself struggling to comprehend if the woman was real.

"It's quite a mess we have here," she finally said.

The familiarity of her voice sent a shockwave through Avery, causing her steadiness to waver even more and she felt as if her legs wouldn't hold her up.

"Please sit, I'm sure you have questions."

Avery clasped her hands and adjusted her weight, showing that she was in control. "I'm good right here."

"I get it, but none of this is easy to say and I'm sure it will be hard to hear."

Avery worked to get a handle on her shock as the stranger weaved her way to the table and pulled out a chair. Remaining guarded and cautious, Avery relented and took a seat. The desire for answers winning out.

Once she saw Avery had settled, she began to speak. "I'm-" she paused before rephrasing. "I need your help."

Her lips quivered and her head fell forward in embarrassment. When their eyes met again, tiny beads of tears welled in the corner of her eyes. The look on her face read as sincere, but Avery couldn't ignore the glaring red flags.