Chapter 23

Avery distracted her mind and failing compartmentalization skills by sitting in the passenger seat of Mike's truck, digging through the first-aid bag. She barely noticed Mike's presence beyond the vehicle rocking in response to his weight as he climbed into the driver's seat. After pulling out antiseptic wipes and a few steri-strips, she moved the bag to the seat behind her. She only glanced in his direction when he didn't immediately start the vehicle.

"What's the holdup?" she asked, flipping down the sun visor to access the mirror.

"I know you want to be a part of the search." Mike rubbed the back of his neck in uncertainty.

"Just say it," Avery asked but had a hunch about what or specifically to whom he was referring.

Mike couldn't get a word out before a heavy knock on Avery's window had her jumping. Aggravation riled up inside her. In response, she cranked her head in the direction of the person stalling her more.

There scowling down at her was her former supervisor, Lieutenant Frank Young. He was a middle-aged man who always appeared to be having a perpetual bad day and never hesitated to remind others of his seniority. Though she never divulged it to anyone, his response, actions, and cruelty after the Warren case had gone sideways, was the tipping point for her leaving Redwood PD. There was no love lost between them, and he wasn't shy to express his disdain for her.

Avery planned minimal contact and her escape the moment he had pulled onto the scene. His obnoxious announcement of dissatisfaction for having to drive up the mountain and take over Sydney's role, had her ducking away faster. She had no intention of sticking around the toxic energy. If she had been in the driver's seat, she would have peeled away, leaving him in a thick cloud of dirt and pine needles.

When he saw he had her attention, his scowl deepene. With reluctance, she lowered the window, only acknowledging him with a raised eyebrow and a nod.

"Where the hell are you going?" he asked.

"I already told you. To assist in the search for Sydney."

"I'm pretty sure you wouldn't add anything helpful. There's more than enough manpower scouring those woods. You're needed here."

"I'm not, I've recused myself, so you get to do your job."

"We have conflicting accounts with what occurred here and it's not adding up."

"I gave my account, there should be nothing left for me to say or do."

"I see how you're trying to play victim, but think you're covering up something."

"It's just like you to try and find something corrupt or off color, when the truth is so much simpler."

Young shook his head. "I'm trying to comprehend how a woman of her fragile nature overpowered you."

"You're serious?" Avery asked, then pointed a finger towards her swelling cheek. "Does my face look like I voluntarily came here?"

"It's so like you to mess everything up and dump it all on me to sort and fix."

"So, we're doing this," Avery said under her breath, pushing the door open. Once fully out she squared up, crossing her arms. "There's nothing to sort or fix. It's simple, Young, by now the evidence and files are packed up and Travis is on his way to Redwood. All that's left is getting Candace down the hill and pretending to supervise the search at Travis' home."

"I've been following this case, and you just can't seem to do your job, or keep anyone safe. Your sister, now Garrett. You're a screw up who takes everyone around them down. I'm chained to a desk because of you."