Lobster

I'm outside

I collected my bag and house keys and went to leave through the front door.

"Have fun with Austin," Dana smiled at me, giving me a wave from the sofa as I opened the front door.

"See you," I said, smiling at her and leaving. I tapped my fingers anxiously on the railing in the elevator as I went down, looking at my reflection in the mirror.

I had done my make up and curled my hair, drowning myself in perfume. I was going out to dinner tonight, and I knew I had to like the way I looked.

I exited the complex's doors, seeing a black Chrysler parked outside with its blinker on. I made my way over, opening the passenger door quickly and sitting in the car seat.

I smiled over at Evan, who had just finished his cigarette and flicked it out the window. He leaned over, closing the gap between us and connecting our lips. I hummed into the kiss, pulling away and fixing my hair as he began to drive off.

"You look remarkable," he praised, taking my hand from my lap and bringing it up to his lips, placing a kiss on the back.

"You look quite handsome yourself," I complimented, soaking in his button up shirt and black dress pants.

"So... where are we going?" I asked him, pulling down the sun visor, sliding open the mirror and applying another layer of lipgloss.

"It's a surprise," he said, with a cheeky smile, one of his hands still holding mine in his lap, our fingers intertwined.

I told Evan I'd give him a chance to take me out on a date, without telling Dana or Austin that it was happening, for obvious reasons. Austin's mom's health has deteriorated and she was currently in hospital under surveillance. I didn't have the heart to tell him, not that I technically had to, because he wasn't my boyfriend. As far as I'm concerned, it was nobody else's business what I did, and I wasn't really doing anything wrong by not being exclusive to my situation-ship with a guy I wasn't sure if I liked.

"Please just tell me," I whined, provoking a laugh from Evan, who just shook his head with his eyes still on the road.

Evan pulled up outside Catch LA, a popular A-list rooftop restaurant, where I knew celebrities went. I bit my lip, watching others in cocktail attire enter the building.

"Surprise! fancy dinner," Evan joked, leaning over and kissing me again. He cupped my face in both his hands, his breath like mint and cigarettes.

"Oh my god," I laughed, Evan quickly exiting the car and moving around to my side, opening the door for me.

"You're such a gentleman," I teased, grabbing onto his hand and letting him lead me inside. I felt a small pang in my chest at the possibility we'd get photographed together, and that everyone would see us together before I was able to tell them. Maybe it would make my life easier if everyone knew.

The feeling quickly subsided when we entered the  rooftop restaurant, soft ambient music playing over the speakers and the smell of expensive seafood filling my nose. I felt my stomach grumble as the host sat us down at our table, offering us a selection of water for the table.

"What do you think?" He asked, as the host left and we were seated across from each other at a delicately set table.

"It's beautiful," I gushed, looking around at the threads of lights overhead.

"No more shitty Italian in St Louis, we're eating on Melrose now, Alex," Evan smiled at me, reaching over the table and grabbing my hand. I looked at him, taking in his soft lips and his dark eyes, the dimples in his cheeks and his tidy hair. He looked unbelievably good dressed up.