008.

Three days

Three days. That was the longest Kelsie had ever gone without speaking to Embry or Quil. At the time, she had lost her voice, so she wasn't able to speak to anyone. But this time was different. This time, she was too hot to wear anything but a sports bra and spandex, and she was in so much pain that all she wanted to do was sleep. It had been seven days. Seven days since she went to Jacob's with the boys. Seven days since she saw her friends last.

Paul had noticed that she wasn't feeling well. She was sleeping a lot, she was rarely eating, and she was always complaining about the heat. He wasn't sure whether this was wolf related, or if her time was slowly coming to an end. So he did the only thing he could think of, he took her to Sam's.

"Do you think she's phasing?" Jared asked, as the three wolves stared down at the 16 year old.

"It's possible. How is she when she's awake?" Sam looked to Paul, who was crouched next to Kelsie.

"In pain. It hurts to hear her scream as if she's dying. I just want her to phase if that's what this is." Paul's voice was quiet, something the pack never heard often.

"Let me take her temperature, maybe we can see how close she is?" Emily rushed over with a thermometer. After a couple seconds she looked at Sam, concern in her eyes.

"Well?" Paul questioned, curious to know what was happening to his baby sister.

"Temp of 109. Higher than Paul's, which is saying something." Emily stood, moving back to her spot next to Sam.

"She's phasing." A voice was heard by the door. The group turned to see Billy and Harry, with Sue behind them.

"She'll be alright, and with a temperature that high, the phase should happen today." Billy spoke, wheeling himself up the ramp that Sam had built for him.

As if on que, Kelsie shot up, breathing heavily. Her entire body felt like it was on fire, her bones in so much pain she thought they were breaking; which they were. Kelsie couldn't handle it much longer, the pain, the heat. Standing up, she rushed outside to hopefully cool herself down. With wide eyes, Sam followed her, Paul and Jared trailing behind him.The young girl made it a good ten feet from the house before the sound of fabric ripping filled everyones ears. Shocked was an understatement.

Standing in front of them was a grey amd white wolf that stood at a height of six feet. While the other three in the pack were about seven feet tall in their wolf form, Kelsie was definitely the smallest. She didn't understand why everyone was staring at her in awe. That is until Sam phased into a jet black wolf, so that he could speak to her.

Kelsie, I need you to think about yourself in your human form. Think about what you look like, what it feels like. Sam spoke inside her head. It wasn't anything she wasn't already used to, but this was weird. Instead of her having to focus on Sam's thoughts, she could automatically hear them. Like he was speaking directly to her; he was.

Thinking about her human self, she was able to quickly phase back. Emily rushed over to her with a blanket in her hands, which Kelsie gratefully took. The group of people standing around her all had smiles on their faces. Kelsie wasn't going to die anytime soon, they knew that for sure now.

"That's not fair! She's already human again?! It took me fifteen minutes!" Jared laughed as Sam led Kelsie back into the small home.

"She's half vampire Jared, none of this freaks her out like it did us." Paul spoke, lightly shoving his pack mate.

Paul was happy that his sister wasn't going to die soon, estatic even. But he couldn't help but feel sad for her. Kelsie phasing meant that she would no longer be able to speak to Embry. No longer have her best friend. Everyone felt bad for her, they knew this would hurt her and none of them would have the heart to tell her.

Kelsie knew. She knew this would mean that she could no longer talk to her friends. She couldn't even be friends with them anymore. Her heart hurt. It felt like someone had stabbed her chest and ripped her heart right out of it. She wouldn't have Jacob anymore, or Quil. She wouldn't have Embry. She knew that, and she knew she'd have to accept that. But this hurt her more than it should have.

"Kelsie there's a few things you need to know, about the pack." Sam started, looking at the girl who now wore sweatpants and a new sports bra.

"I know. I can't be friends with the boys anymore. I can't speak to Embry. I can't be around anyone that doesn't know about us." She quietly spoke, her voice laced with sadness and hurt. Embry was her first friend after she had been finally introduced to everyone. He was the person she went to when things went wrong. He was her shoulder to cry on, her person. And now, she had to break all contact with him. Because of a stupid wolf gene.

"I know it's hard, but it's for your safety and theirs." Sam told her, his arms crossed over his chest.

"If me getting angry and wolfing out on them is what you're worried about, then it won't be a problem. I've been controlling myself around everyone since the day I was born." Kelsie deadpanned, not bothering to look at her new alpha.

"Being half vampire and controlling your wolf anger are two different things Kelsie!" Sam said loudly, trying not to raise his voice at the girl.

"I can turn invisible, Sam! Sometimes against my will! I've been controlling that pretty well, haven't I!" She yelled back, getting frustrated with the man.

"And here you are getting angry enough to want to shift. The littlest things can trigger our anger, you can feel that now." Sam began to explain. "You can only be around pack members until you learn to control it. We don't know how strong your wolf side is, we need to monitor you for at least a week."

"Which means?" Kelsie peered at him through her eyelashes.

"Which means basic pack protocol. Every new member goes through it. You'll be fine. Now, there's a few things we need to talk about." Paul spoke, taking a seat next to his sister.

The pack all sat around the living room, Paul next to Kelsie, Jared on the floor beside them, and Sam and Emily opposite them in one of the chairs. Sam explained everything to the young girl. The pack mind reading, patrolling, imprinting, the fact that she might have to cut her hair. (Although her wolf's fur wasn't too long, so maybe she could get away with it.)

It was all a lot for Kelsie, but the supernatural was nothing new to her. In fact, she was excited to spend more time in La Push now that she had a wolf to contain. She just hoped Embry would be okay.