Chapter 10

At dinner time, Enid is the first to arrive to the picnic table- her brain sore from the gruelling Dark Arts lecture. Thankfully, as the day wore on, she could feel herself healing more and more until her brain injury wasn't much more than a dull ache.

There, sits a pomelo. As well as a plate she didn't recognize, but was presumably from the same dark eyed girl given the plate and accompanying silverware as well as the plate cover were black. Oddly enough, attached to the pomelo is a note. She grabs at it, flicking it open and seeing the typewriter font on it.

She smiles to herself, slinging her bag from her shoulder and dropping down onto the bench. She casts a look around, but Wednesday is, as per usual, nowhere to be seen. But you couldn't very well leave food unattended in a school full of growing supernatural teens who'd eat anything in sight. She once caught a Junior eating something vaguely resembling mac and cheese off the quad ground, shivering at the memory.

She mustn't have left long ago. Or, she'd threatened everyone around her not to touch it.

Both ideas warmed her heart.

She slipped the plate cover off, swallowing the groan as the smell of a home cooked meal soothed her heart, and it was a hearty serving to, soothing the ache she'd forgotten lived in her stomach.

Chicken breast, steamed veggies, a buttered roll and mashed potatoes that were still hot greeted her.

She knows Wednesday didn't cook it herself, probably sent one of the people that worked for her family to get it, but the image of Wednesday in an apron, busying herself in a kitchen was so domestic that she'd eat whatever was on the plate even if it had been sludge.

She stabs into the chicken, savouring the taste. Nevermore's food was decent- but this? This was heaven.

Yoko raises an eyebrow as she plunks herself into the seat across from her. "Now what might that be?"

Enid glances up guiltily from her plate full of food. "Whu?"

"Don't talk with food in your mouth," Yoko sniffs. "It's so... ugh."

"I wasn't chewing!" Enid protests, but she's smiling and swallows what's in her mouth. She grabs the fruit, tossing it in the air and catching it. "Just the usual," she says. "Nothin special."

Yoko levels her a stern look as she picks up her fork. "Wednesday's love letter."

Enid flushes. "Not a love letter. It's just a fruit."

Yoko rolls her eyes. "Just a fruit, she says. I don't see Wednesday handing out comically large citrus fruit to anyone else. And I've never seen her even eat something as good as you got."

She narrows her red eyes. "Not to mention, the literal fucking love letter you've got on the table there."

Blushing something fierce, she snatches it off the table.

Yoko steals a bite of chicken like it's a worm and she is a stick in the hands of a twelve-year-old trying to dissect it with precision.

From behind her, Tyler taps her shoulder, and Enid whirls around to give him a fist bump that transforms into a customized handshake. He slides into the seat next to her. "You're making your way up in the world, huh?" He grins, motioning at the food that she really wishes she could eat without having to answer for.

Ajax sits beside Yoko with a groan, yawning. "Fuck, school is kicking my ass this semester."

"Something oughta," Yoko replies, pushing the food away like it scorned her and popping open the cap of her O-Neg blood bag.

Ajax looks to the fruit. Always the fucking fruit, if not the starkly contrasted silverware compared to styrofoam and plastic utensils.

"You got another fruit."