Chapter 12

Friday, October the 13th.

Enid marks this day as the day the world shifted an inch on its axis. Because really, nothing was different. People were still laughing in the halls with their friends, going to class, hanging out in the town and going about their lives.

But hers? Felt like it had died. Along with the beating thing inside her chest that steadily began to beat only for Wednesday. And now she was gone, with nothing but cruelty ringing in her ears in finality.

She wished more than anything to curl up and cease to exist- even just for a little bit. Because everything feels monochrome. Who would have guessed, Wednesday Addams was the most saturated thing in her world of pastels?

But Yoko refuses it. She had gotten home from the gym to find Enid slumped and sobbing at her door, and hadn't hesitated to take the girl taller in stature but smaller than anything she'd ever seen in. Bianca had blinked at the pair, frowning, and left to give them the space they needed. She had let her cry, spent the night holding her and running a hand through her hair until her sobs quieted into hiccups. Even when she knew- fucking knew, Wednesday was the cause of this and just a skip and a hop away, she didn't move. Though, really, she'd love nothing more than to end the miserable shits life for breaking the warmest heart of the kindest girl.

Still, it wouldn't help. It wouldn't mend the wound only Wednesday herself could fix. A heartbreak far more intense than that of a normal high school breakup.

Because, in between hysteria and sobs, Enid had cried out for her mate. She'd found the one person she wanted to spend her life with, who had rejected her. And though Vampires could heal from the loss of a mate, a werewolf would sooner or later die. Even without the mating bite.

So her hand had stilled in its ministrations on her scalp, and she'd wrapped the girl in a hug so tight she could only pray all the shattered pieces of her heart would stay where they needed to be just in time for her to sort this mess out.

Wednesday was pigheaded- but Enid needed a best friend right now, not to be an accomplice to a brutal crime.

Enid looks through sticky eyes at the brunette who saunters in with two coffees and a tub of ice cream for breakfast. The sight shatters her heart. Because she wishes it was the obsidian eyes with a pomelo in her hands.

"Sit up. Drink it, and get some ice cream in you. It heals all." She points to the Ben and Jerry's logo, still covered in frost from the freezer. "Plus- I got your favourite. Chocolate chip cookie dough."

Enid manages a smile, nodding. Takes a sip of the Weathervane coffee, sighs. "You talk to Tyler?"

Yoko nods, sitting in the spot next to her. "Yep. He's making you a very sappy playlist as we speak."

Enid giggles. Sighs. "I hate this. I think being told I need conversation therapy for Lycanthropy was better than whatever the fuck it is I'm feeling."

Yoko's eyebrows furrowed. "Dont you remember what you told me last night?"

Enid pops the lid off her ice cream, grabbing a spoon when Yoko offers it. She shovels a massive bite, her body relaxing as the familiar sugar rush started spreading.

"You called her your mate."

She chokes. Coughing, as Yoko awkwardly pats her back. She grabs for her coffee, taking a large sip that burns her throat on the way down but she manages anyway. "My mate? You're kidding. Right? This is some- some sick thing you and Xav planned to pull? Please? Tell me that's the case?"

Yoko shrugs, helplessly and Enid benignly thinks she might actually throw herself off the Vampire's balcony. "Sorry, pup. Looks like you found your soulmate."