Promises (Age: 11)

"My mother passed before she could fulfill her vow..." The girl looked at him with an intense gaze, judging him "But lucky for you, I keep my promises."

She held out to him a shining, knight's broadsword. It glinted fatally with the sun's reflection, promising a painful death. He had waited long for this... it was too bad his mother couldn't see him now- he could just imagine her proud grin as she laughed with him.

Link kneeled down, accepting the sword with both his hands, he couldn't even get the words out. Lately, his mother's passing had weighed down hard on him...

Today was the day he was getting accepted into the castle guard- as an apprentice, of course- but still. Medilia had longed to see her son grow up to be a knight, but she had left the world before he could.

Link's voice was hoarse "My mother... died too." he looked away from Zelda, not knowing why he said that. The princess felt a flash of sympathy for the boy, she knew how his father was "I am sorry for your loss." she said carefully.

Link chuckled a bit "I've gotten used to it..." his heart sank "Good things... they never... they never stay."

Zelda clapped her hand over her mouth in horror "How can you say that! I've seen children worse off than you- how dare you victimise yourself!" she yelled indignantly. Zelda's brain flashed with images of poor, alone children, shivering in the alleyways at night. Zelda scoffed "You have a family who loves you very mu-"

Link snapped "MY FATHER DOESN'T LOVE ME! MY MOTHER DIED BECAUSE OF ME! AND NOW BECAUSE OF MY STUPID SELF ARYLL IS MOTHERLESS AND I'M THE ONLY FAMILY SHE'S GOT!" He shouted at the princess, not caring about her status anymore. Link whispered once more "Father yells at Aryll... she's just 6...." he took in a shaky breath "And yet- she sits down all day in her room... sewing, ironing, mending, cleaning, cooking...." Link repeats "She's just a little girl."

Link balls his fists "She should be playing outside... And instead she spends her days. You know, sometimes I hear her crying... she pretends that she doesn't, but I hear her sobs at night." Zelda stares at the young boy, her eyes round with horror.

"I'm so sorry, Link! I did not know-" "No, you didn't." Link interrupts her "No one ever does until it's too late." he says. The boy smiles wryly "I don't know why I'm being so open but, Don't end up like me Zelda. My mother's death broke me in more ways than one. I barely talk. I can't even muster up the courage to save my sister. And I let my father do it." Link repeats "Don't end up like me."

Zelda takes her hand in his.

"Don't." she whispers.

Link pulls his hand away from hers "Maybe... maybe I deserve it. After hurting my sister like that. We used to be close, y'know? But now I barely talk... and she has no one... she can't even go outside and talk to the other kids. I hate my father...."

A tear slips down his cheek "Maybe... I should just become mute."

"Things will be better without me."