Courage (Age: 11)

The door opened and shut, waking Link up from his trance. He was leaning against the wall, his wooden training sword in hand, just in case.

He heard the heavy thudding of his father's footsteps, they stopped and then he heard a creak as his father sat down on the armchair. There was scuffling, the knight was probably taking his boots off. Link heard a long sigh and he took this opportunity.

"You're home late, sir." he said evenly, appearing from the corner. The boy didn't even let his father speak "You must be tired... I'll get you a glass of water." his voice had a hint of venom. He started for the kitchen before stopping.

"Did you know that it was your daughter's birthday, sir?"

"...yes."

"Did you know she spent it alone?"

"...yes."

"Did you know she cried the whole time?"

"Yes! Where is all of this nonsense coming from Link?!"

Link glared "IT'S ALL COMING FROM YOU!" he yelled "You have the sweetest most selfless daughter in the world and yet you put her to work all day everyday! You shout at her in your drunken state! SHE'S ONLY A CHILD!" Link's chest heaves with each shaky breath. He tried to regulate his tears.

Link's father rubs his eyes "Can you be smart enough to understand how hard it is for me, Link?" The man slumps back in the armchair "I have to provide for you two. And without your sickly mother it's been even harder." that did it for Link, that sparked his fuse.

"DON'T YOU DARE TALK ABOUT MEDILIA LIKE THAT!" it was all the poor boy could do not to hit his father. Link continued "I apologise," he said coldly "But please. Could you give Aryll a little less work. She's struggling, crying every night."

"It's not my fault she's that weak."

Aryll climbed down the stairs. Link turned around to face the stairs when he heard a creak. When he say Aryll's sweet, innocent, watery eyes he wanted to kill the man in front of him. He felt such a burning rage, so blind with anger that he wanted to kill his own father. Link hated himself for wanting to do that, but the thought of it was so good...

"I-... I'm sorry..." Aryll whimpered, her lower lip trembling, trying not to cry "It's because of me you're fighting." she whispered.

"Stop being so weak! A girl like you should be mending, finding a husband!"

Link turned to the man, a crazed, maniac look in his eyes "SHUT UP! JUST SHUT THE HELL UP!" he shouts, he could practically feel the rage rising up, like lava in a volcano. But this time, he didn't even bother calming himself down.

"IS THAT ANY WAY TO TALK TO YOUR FATHER?!"

"WHO SAID YOU'RE MY FATHER?!"

Link yelled, stepping in front of his little sister protectively.

"For years I've watched you treat my mother with disrespect! Shouting at her for having a girl instead of a boy. YEARS! And now- you have the nerve to yell at MY sister?! To drown MY sister in work?! And what's more- You have enough guts to start charting out her OWN life for her?!" Without thinking, Link raises his sword.

"She shouldn't even be working! She shouldn't even have to worry about a husband! You are a terrible father!" Link clenched his teeth.

The man only laughed "Then why are you following in my footsteps?"

Link only smiled, his words dripping with acid "To grant my mother's dying wish. To be a hero. To be the brother that my sister deserves. To protect her with my life. I will be her knight, she doesn't need you. She has me." Link gave Aryll's hand a reassuring squeeze.

"In other words, to do what you failed to do." Link bowed down in front of his father.

"I, Link Calatia, vow to become the best knight in hyrule. I will not only excel in swordsmanship, but I will excel in strength of character, with courage as my guiding light."

He was met by a sharp punch in his face.

He took it, gladly, knowing that one day he'd return the favour with an even stronger blow.

"Do you wish you could kill me, sir?"

"Or shall I say... Banzetta Arn?" Link smirked, clutching his black eye.

AN:

Information for Link's parents came from canonic games and a fanon manga!

Link's mother: From the Oot manga! Medilia was her name and she came from a town called Calatia!

Link's father: Banzetta was one of his names! In the LOZ valiant comics his name was Arn and he was an abusive father who kicked Link out. So I improvised and merged the two names