Chapter 7

"Wake up!"

Frostpaw was curled up in her comfy nest, her eyes closed. She knew that someone was calling her, but she was tired because of the gathering. She tried to let out a convincing snore, but the cat seem to not believe her.

"Get up," the cat hissed, nudging her forcefully.  "Or you'll be late for the patrol."

Frostpaw opened one eye and gazed blearily at the cat. She recognized the light gray fur and the cat's amber eyes after a moment.

Frostpaw jumped to her paws and started grooming her fur. "I didn't know I had a patrol," Frostpaw grunted. "Also why did you wake me up that harshly, Yellowpaw?"

Yellowpaw snorted, ignoring her question. "You should've paid more attention to Poppysong after the gathering," Yellowpaw sniffed, his gaze unwavering. "The sun is almost all the way up."

"It is?" Frostpaw asked, looking startled.

Frostpaw peered outside of the den and was shocked. The sun was basically on top of them now. She noticed Birdstripe, waiting impatiently near the apprentices' den. She ducked back in, hoping Birdstripe didn't see her.

"I know you're tired," Yellowpaw murmured wearily, his tail lashing. "But we have a patrol to be in! You'll have to get used to that and I already have."

Frostpaw glared at the older apprentice. "Than why don't you go first?" Frostpaw demanded, flicking her tail at the entrance.

Yellowpaw hesitated, his eyes narrowing. "Fine, but it won't be my fault if you take too long," Yellowpaw growled before trotting out, casting an annoyed look at Frostpaw.

Frostpaw quickly groomed her ruffled fur before bounding out of the den. Birdstripe was talking to Yellowpaw when she had come out and Birdstripe immediately turned to Frostpaw.

"Come on," Birdstripe grunted, his voice disapproving. "We'll be late patrolling the ShadowClan border and you know how strict Cottonstar is about patrolling over there."

Birdstripe beckoned to Shallowpool, Yellowpaw's mentor before heading out of camp quickly. Yellowpaw nodded at Frostpaw before dashing after the two warriors. Frostpaw followed more slowly, casting sorrowful looks at the well stocked fresh-kill pile. She was very hungry.

"Snow will be coming soon," Shallowpool commented as they padded toward the ShadowClan border. "This will be your second snow fall, right Frostpaw?"

"Yes," Frostpaw confirmed wearily.

She first ever experienced snow was when she was a young kit, but that time she couldn't go outside and always was tucked under Tansywhisker's belly along with Yarrowpaw and Smokepaw when they were kits.

"This is my third," Yellowpaw boasted. "I became an apprentice in leaf-bare because there was a shortage of apprentices."

Shallowpool's eyes glowed. "And I got you as a apprentice. It was-" Shallowpool broke off, stopping as he seemed to smell something.

Birdstripe also seemed to stop, sniffing in the air cautiously and his eyes narrowed. "We're only approaching the ShadowClan border," Birdstripe murmured thoughtfully before lifting his head to glance around. "But there is ShadowClan scent here."

Frostpaw also smelled the sharp smell of ShadowClan cats here. "ShadowClan," Frostpaw snarled, starting to pace back and forth. "Why do they have to cross our border?"

Shallowpool touched Frostpaw's shoulder with his tail-tip and Frostpaw stopped pacing. "It's fresh," Shallowpool meowed quickly. "They must be still here. Let's follow their trail before they leave our territory."