Chapter 3

Frostpaw was fighting Smokepaw for battle training. She tensed up as Smokepaw lunged at her, Frostpaw dodged swiftly and pinned him down. Smokepaw struggled underneath her before becoming limp.

"That's the oldest trick," Frostpaw hissed into his ear, tightening her grip on him. "Becoming limp so I loosen my grip on you. You won't defeat me, Smokepaw."

"I give up!" Smokepaw exclaimed, struggling.

Frostpaw hesitated. Smokepaw's eyes were glowing with fury and disappointment. Frostpaw let go and jumped backwards as Smokepaw shook out his pelt from sand in the sandy hollow.

Smokepaw and Yarrowpaw had recently became apprentices. Frostpaw has now been an apprentice for around a moon.

"That's good for a young apprentice," Sandypelt, Smokepaw's mentor, praised then seeing Smokepaw's expression, he added. "You can't expect to defeat a more experienced apprentice, Smokepaw."

Smokepaw let out a growl of frustration before padding to Yarrowpaw's side. Yarrowpaw's eyes were glowing with admiration.

"Can you show me how to dart in and slash your opponent so quickly without tripping?" Yarrowpaw asked. "I don't know how, but I keep on falling when I go so quick."

"You'll learn, Yarrowpaw," Smokepaw snapped, jealousy radiating off his pelt. "You don't have to ask Frostpaw-"

"I'll help you, Yarrowpaw," Frostpaw insisted, interrupting Smokepaw. "Maybe this evening? Then we can get fresh-kill together."

"That would be great," Yarrowpaw purred then glanced hopefully at her mentor, Mapleflake. "Can we do battle training more often with Frostpaw?"

"If you learn more with her then sure," Mapleflake answered thoughtfully, exchanging an amused and pleased glance with Birdstripe.

"Frostpaw, work on your aim," Birdstripe announced wearily when Frostpaw turned to him. "Some of your blows were too clumsy and not well aimed for my liking."

A purr of amusement came from Smokepaw. "At least my blows were well aimed," Smokepaw sneered, proud that he was better at something.

"Quiet, Smokepaw," Birdstripe growled and Smokepaw fell silent.

Frostpaw dipped her head. "I understand, Birdstripe," Frostpaw replied wearily, glaring at Smokepaw. "I'll keep that in mind in the future."

"Right," Sandypelt meowed. "It's time we go back to camp."

"Can't we stay out for a little more?" Yarrowpaw pleaded. "I barely got to practice."

"We'll do more tomorrow," Mapleflake promised. "Let's go now before it's too dark." Mapleflake glanced up at the sky.

Frostpaw looked up and to her surprise, the sun was nearly gone. She eyed Smokepaw suspiciously. Would he argue? Frostpaw wondered curiously.

"Fine," Smokepaw muttered wearily, his eyes still fixed on her and his pelt bristling.

Frostpaw followed Birdstripe towards camp, but was startled as Birdstripe paused. Birdstripe exchanged excited glanced with Sandypelt and Mapleflake.

"What is it?" Frostpaw demanded, looking confused.

"Smell the air," Yarrowpaw whispered to her, scared. "There seems to be a rogue scent or some cat scent. Wait no multiple scents!"

"Then why are our mentors so excited about it?" Smokepaw asked, confused like Frostpaw was. "We should go find and chase them out. They're invading our territory!"

"No...no," Birdstripe meowed hastily, turning to the three apprentices. "It's the Sunset group. Not intruders."

"Sunset group?" All of the apprentices echoed.