Chapter 15

Frostwind stood in the clearing, watching as the sun starting going up into the sky. It was a successful vigil and there were no trouble that she spotted. She suppressed a yawn as warriors came out of their den.

Each of them didn't speak to each other and Frostwind knew why. Spotberry's burial ceremony had happened yesterday evening and everyone was still mourning the gentle medicine cat especially her kin.

Poppysong padded over to her and gave her a quick nod. "Your vigil is over," Poppysong murmured to her. "Go get yourself sorted as a warrior and I may need you on a patrol."

Frostwind dipped her head respectfully and headed toward the warriors' den. She wanted to claim a nest or make one right away, so she could sleep there tonight. Before she was able to, she almost tripped over three tiny balls of fur.

Frostwind stopped right in front of the kits, looking surprised. Patchflower had kitted to three kits one moon ago. Oakkit, a pale brown and white she-kit, Sandkit, pale brown tom-kit and Icekit, a white tom-kit. They all looked indignantly at her.

"You almost trampled us!" Sandkit exclaimed, his amber eyes wide with anger. "Watch where you're going, Frostpaw!"

"It's Frostwind," Frostwind correctly, trying to keep her cool. "Does your mother or father know you're out here? It's pretty early." Frostwind glanced around for Patchflower or Woodyclaw.

Before Sandkit could reply, Oakkit lifted her head. "We don't need them," Oakkit sniffed, looking annoyed. "They don't let us go outside, even though we're one whole moon old!"

Frostwind blinked at her. "If they don't know you're out, you should go back," Frostwind told them strictly. "They'll be worried."

Icekit's tail went straight up. "Then let them," Icekit growled softly, baring his tiny, sharp teeth. "You can't order us to do anything! You're only a young warrior and only ones who can boss us around is the leader and deputy!"

Frostwind sighed. At least they know to follow orders from the important cats, Frostwind thought before straightening, gazing at each of them fiercely.

"I can get Cottonstar or Poppysong right now," Frostwind meowed quietly, gazing up to the place where Poppysong was, ordering patrols. "Look, Poppysong is right there! Let's go-"

"Fine!" Sandkit interrupting, looking scared. "We just wanted to take a look outside, but we'll go back to the nursery."

"We weren't going to go out of camp," Oakkit added sourly. "Any kit who thinks of that is dumb. Did you hear Spotberry died from a fox?" Oakkit turned to Icekit, tipping her head.

Icekit nodded. "And I bet the rest of the Clans deal with the same thing!" Icekit replied wearily then glanced at Frostwind. "Let's go."

As they raced away, Frostwind couldn't help but feel guilty. I don't want them to feel like I am strict, Frostwind thought to herself. Besides, I might get one of them as an apprentice in the future.

Frostwind sighed before quickly hurrying into the warriors' den. Inside, many nests were scattered inside like the apprentices' den, but the warriors' den was bigger. There were only some warriors left in their nest, some awake and some still snoring.

Frostwind glanced at all the nests, not knowing which ones were occupied.

"Frostwind!" Woodshine trotted over to her, dipping her head in greeting.

"Woodshine," Frostwind greeted, relieved to see one of her friends. "Did anyone make me a nest yet or should I-"

"I did," Woodshine interrupted before lowering her head. "Well Emberfire did help as well..." Woodshine's voice trailed off as she winked at Frostwind.