Chapter 18

Frostwind paused before the ShadowClan border, looking hesitant. It was a dark, shadowy forest unlike ThunderClan's forest with tall pines. She breathed in the musky scent of ShadowClan cats mixed in with Strike's cats. It was pretty recent.

"They must have went to ShadowClan's camp," Frostwind muttered angrily. "How am I supposed to kill Strike now? He'll be protected by the ShadowClan cats."

"ShadowClan must not be happy with him right now," Emberfire suggested quietly. "After all, they lost a battle that could've changed everything. I wonder what Cloudstar is thinking now."

Frostwind snorted, but then glanced around. "Is there a patch of mud we can roll ourselves on?" Frostwind asked wearily. "We don't want our scent to give ourselves away."

Emberfire nodded and flicked his tail over to a mud pile near a tree. "Once when I was patrolling the ShadowClan border, Yellowstripe accidentally stumbled upon this and tripped into it." Emberfire's eyes glowed with laughter.

Frostwind let out a purr of amusement. "Then let's roll in it," Frostwind replied coolly, shaking out her pelt. "It'll help disguise ourselves as well in the dark territory of ShadowClan."

Frostwind padded over to the patch of mud and rolled on it, so her pelt was covered in mud. Emberfire did the same.

"We smell awful," Emberfire meowed quietly, wrinkling his nose in disgust. "I regret doing this. Why didn't we just roll in a patch of herbs?"

Frostwind rolled her eyes and playfully nudged Emberfire. "Come on, mouse-brain," she muttered loudly. "We have something important to do."

Frostwind bounded into the ShadowClan territory and stayed in the shadows. This is what ShadowClan cats do, Frostwind thought to herself. I feel kind of cool.

Emberfire was close behind her, his eyes darting quickly between the trees as if a ShadowClan patrol was going to pop out and attack them at any moment.

"Calm down," Frostwind hissed quietly to Emberfire. "If we get caught, just say that we were catching a rabbit and didn't notice we went into ShadowClan territory."

Emberfire snorted. "As if they're going to believe that," he growled softly before lifting his head to scan the area. "All I can smell is mud and pine trees. I can barely smell ShadowClan scent."

Frostwind sighed angrily, pausing to turn around and glare at Emberfire. "You can leave if you want," Frostwind snapped, losing her temper. "I didn't force you to be here. Besides, this is also Yarrowpaw's wish."

Emberfire lowered his head, his eyes glowing briefly was frustration. "I need to protect you, Frostwind," Emberfire answered pleadingly before gently licking her ear. "Come back with me...we can do this at another time. ShadowClan needs time to cool down."

Frostwind's eyes lit up with anger. "I'll do it myself," Frostwind snarled, lifting her head proudly. "I can protect myself and kill Strike. Bye." With an impatient flick of her tail, she padded away stealthily and quickly.

Emberfire followed her quickly, glancing nervously around. "This is what I meant when I said you shouldn't be in the mission," Emberfire told her sharply. "You're stubborn, Frostwind. That can be good in some times, but not right now."

Frostwind ignored Emberfire though inside she was yowling to attack him and pin him down.

As they drew closer and closer to the ShadowClan camp, Frostwind felt nervous. What if a ShadowClan cat finds us? Frostwind thought worriedly. What will Cottonstar and Poppysong do if they find out we're trying to kill Strike?

Frostwind suddenly spotted the ShadowClan camp. It was concealed in a wide hollow, between brambles and low hanging branches. That is the ShadowClan camp...right? Frostwind thought hesitantly. She had never seen or been to their camp before and only had heard it from her mentor.