Chapter 20

"Yes, that's me, dear," Grayfrost purred, pressing against Frostwind as she realized who she was. Her eyes flickered with happiness and a hint of fear. "I have watched you grow and face challenges that no other cats have gone through."

Frostwind immediately touched noses with her, breathing in her mother's scent. "I'm sorry, I can't save ThunderClan," Frostwind whispered carefully. "Strike is going to take over ThunderClan and the rest of the Clans."

Grayfrost licked her ear comfortingly. "You have done well, my kit," Grayfrost soothed quietly. "But your destiny isn't over yet, dear. The prophecy must come true."

Frostwind's ears pricked. "The prophecy?" Frostwind echoed curiously, leaning forward slightly. "What prophecy?"

Grayfrost sighed slowly. "There will be one cat that will spark the Clans into madness, but only the frost will realize the trouble that the Clans will face and defeat it," she recited hesitantly before her eyes glowed with resolve.

"The frost is me," Frostwind gasped in shock as she realized what it meant. "The cat that sparked madness was Strike. I never knew of this prophecy until now."

"Your life isn't over yet," Grayfrost breathed quietly, gently licking her ear again. "Your destiny was already made when you were born and you must complete it, Frostwind."

Frostwind nodded eagerly. "But father...is he dead?" Frostwind asked softly. "Am I just in my head while the battle is going on around me?"

"Time is slowed," Grayfrost replied coolly before she touched noses with Frostwind again. "But once we send you back, you must believe in yourself. StarClan is with you and I'll be with you...always."

Suddenly the field disappeared and Grayfrost was gone. ThunderClan's camp came back and the situation dawned again on Frostwind. Strike still pinned down Breezeflight, muttering threatening words to him. Ferret was beside me, guarding me with a stony glare, making sure I didn't launch an attack on Strike.

"Now you'll die, Breezeflight," Strike growled coldly. "But I'll make sure your death is torturous and painful. You deserve it after all for mating with Grayfrost." Strike was going with to sink his teeth into his throat, but then suddenly a large boom erupted from above.

Everyone gasped, looking up. Frostwind noticed quickly that a rock had dislodged itself and now it was rolling exactly towards Strike and Breezeflight.

Strike yelped in shock and immediately got off of Breezeflight, running out of the way of the rock.  Breezeflight staggered to his paws, but wouldn't be able to get out of the rock's way quickly enough because of his injuries.

Frostwind's eyes narrowed and she launched herself towards her father. The rock was going down in a steady pace, but Frostwind was close enough. She could save him.

"You will watch your father die," Strike snarled, stepping in front of Frostwind, making her skid to a halt right in front of him. "Say your last words to him Frostwind."

Frostwind tried to get past him, but he was quick, blocking my every move and Ferret was helping him stop me. I am going to lose father, Frostwind thought helplessly as the rock came closer and closer to flattening him. Mother help me.

Look. Suddenly Frostwind heard a familiar voice in her head. Mother. It felt like she directed her head to Emberfire. He was struggling underneath Silk and Stone, but he broke free.

Emberfire raced over to Breezeflight, dodging all the cats that tried to stop him. He sank his teeth into his scruff and quickly dragged him out of the rock's way with a bit of struggle.

Frostwind cheered silently in her head before she turned her stance into an attack crouch, aiming directly at Strike who was in front of her, distracted at Emberfire saving Breezeflight. Frostwind launched herself to Strike and used her hind legs to kick him into the rock's way.