Chapter 12

Snowflakes were falling down from the clouds, landing on the ground and covering everything with white fluffy snow. Frostpaw glanced around, curiously as she had never been out when it started to snow.

Frostpaw straightened. I have to focus, Frostpaw thought. To pass my warrior assessment...I'll need to catch prey.

Frostpaw sniffed the air. She smelled a bit of mice and squirrel. She decided to follow the mouse trail, keeping herself low and as her pelt was now white from the snow, it was harder to see her.

Frostpaw finally saw the mouse. It was near a bush, nibbling on a brown seed. She crouched down and kept her tail low, remembering everything that Birdstripe taught her. She sneakily padded forward, closer to the mouse and the mouse didn't see her till it was too late.

Frostpaw pounced, landing on the mouse and killing it with a swift bite to the neck. She looked up and glanced around. She knew her mentor was watching her, assessing her every technique. She buried the mouse quickly, and then set off to find another prey.

Frostpaw lifted her head to sniff the air again, but to her surprise, she didn't smell prey, but faint fox scent. Frostpaw shook her head. I shouldn't go after the fox, Frostpaw thought confidently. Probably another patrol is after it by now, but just in case, I'll report it when I get back to camp. Besides, Birdstripe would be smelling it also.

Frostpaw was about to leave the place when she heard a loud yowl of pain coming from deeper into the forest.

Frostpaw whipped her head toward the sound and then hesitated. She looked confused, but after another yowl, she raced deeper into the forest.

Frostpaw suddenly skidded to a halt, her eyes rounded with horror as she saw the situation in front of her. A huge fox was in front of Yarrowpaw, showing it's sharp teeth at her. Yarrowpaw had scratches and blood all over her. Her ears were flattened and her tail down as she whimpered fearfully, backing away.

Frostpaw's eyes narrowed angrily and with a yowl, leaped onto the fox's back, her claws unsheathed. The fox whipped his head behind him and their eyes met. Frostpaw dug her claws into the orange fur of the fox and it let out a yelp of anger and pain.

The fox shook Frostpaw off and turned to her, its eyes showing furiousness and wildness all at the same time. As it stalked closer to Frostpaw, she heard paw steps coming closer and closer.

After a moment, Frostpaw saw Birdstripe burst into view with Poppysong, Woodshine and Fogpaw. The fox turned toward them, its eyes glowing furiously.

With a low growl, Poppysong pounced on the fox's tail while Woodshine distracted it, by nipping the fox when it turned to try to stop Poppysong from biting its tail.

While they did that, Birdstripe raced to Yarrowpaw and Fogpaw went to Frostpaw. Fogpaw gazed at her, horrified. "Are you okay?" Fogpaw asked quickly, glancing at her pelt for wounds.

"I didn't get hurt," Frostpaw replied wearily then flicked her tail at Yarrowpaw who was on the ground, panting. "Yarrowpaw needs help, go fetch Mistleaf or Spotberry!"

Fogpaw blinked at her and then nodded. She dashed away toward the camp, while Frostpaw hurried toward Birdstripe and Yarrowpaw.

Frostpaw crouched beside her. "What do you need, Birdstripe?" Frostpaw demanded, sniffing at Yarrowpaw's wounds. "Fogpaw is going to fetch a medicine cat."

"I don't know," Birdstripe muttered, looking frantic then lifted his head, his eyes narrowing. "The fox is coming towards us, Frostpaw!"

Frostpaw looked up to see the fox slowly making its way toward them. The fox seemed to know that Woodshine was only there to distract and ignored her to strike at Poppysong. Poppysong now had a long scratch on her flank, but she stepped bravely in front of the fox with Woodshine.