Apartments first

Bing bing bing bing. Bing. Bing. Bing

It was three according to the bells of the elevator but it was actually in fact 3:01. 3:01 in the morning and Cat laid awake. Unmoving, just gazing up at the ceiling. Earlier today, thought the whole day actually, Tree stuck surprisingly close to her. They had always been good friends, sometimes more then friends at times but nothing more. They made that clear as soon as the first kiss.

They both leaned in simultaneously, meeting in the middle. A second, two seconds, three until they broke. He looked at her and he looked at him.

"We can't be like this." He spoke.

"Agreed. I don't like relationship, they have never been my thing and never ever will be," Cat replied.

But they liked it. The feel of each other, just that kiss. That kiss she wanted to make again, but not knowing his own ideas they remained apart.

That kiss and the multiple 'accidental touches' though out the day ran through her head. How much more would she need to stop thinking of him like this? She sat up rubbing at her face. She jumped at the sound of the elevator. She forgot to lock it. She flew out of bed, hoping it wasn't a stranger and that she could lock the door in time.

It was in fact not a stranger and she in fact did not lock the doors in time.

It was Tree.

"I can't sleep, you said I could stop by whenever and that is clearly true seeing your door isn't locked," he said, "unless you don't want me to stay." He was playing that game with her mind, testing her. A silent 'how far will you go?'

She stepped aside to let him in, "Well get your ass in here so I can lock the door." She moved around him to slide the gate across the door.

The apartment was clean, well kept with everything once could need. It had a kitchen that led into the bedroom, sunken in compared to the entrance. Off to the left and up the stairs was the bathroom and a small storage closet.

This wasn't the first time Tree had been over to her place. There had been other times but nothing like this. Sleepovers on the couch with friends, or coffee in the morning, or even a casual movie hang out.

Cat lead him into the kitchen, taking his hand and starting down the stairs. Small forms of contact had been normal for the pair so he simply followed behind the female, hands joined. She only let go to open the pantry door. She got out a kettle and the coca blend he liked the best and her favorite tea.

She filled the pot with water and turned on the stove. She set the kettle onto the stove and let it begin to boil. Tree sat on the barstool across from the stove. He obviously noted that she was getting ready for bed, or trying to seeing as she was still awake.

She was in a light pink nightgown, a rather see through one might he add. Her short hair was held back with a matching headband. He had always found her attractive but he'd only voiced the comment a few times.

"Alright, it should be ready in a few minutes," she said and looked up at him.

They met in the middle, him looking and her and her looking at him. Neither looked away, another game of his, 'who lasts longer.' She gazed at him and he gazed back, it was only when he did that signature smirk of his did she shy away.

He smirked and spun around, "You're not very good at eye contact."

"Who said I have to be good at eye contact?" she frowned and walked around the counter to sit on the couch, vertical to the counter and barstools.

"Maybe every person to ever have a job," he said, "maybe every speaker ever."

"Enough I get it, it's important," she scoffed and rolled her eyes.