Behind the tree

"Cat can we just agree we were both tired and horny at the time and it kind of just happened?" Tree asked as he ran a hand through his dark hair.

"Yeah you caught me at a bad time," she mumbled as she stirred a cube of sugar into her cup of tea.

"And we don't have to tell anyone?" He started.

"Of course we can't tell anyone, what would they say? They'd rub it in our faces and claim us to be a couple," she spoke before taking a sip, "We tell no one."

"Deal," he answered.

"Deal," she agreed.

A Monday afternoon, the 'incident' of the weekend had been brushed under the rug by the both of them. Cat shoved the rest of her belongings into her bag, she had a meet up with Tree after school for a project. Science of course.

The professor seemed to sense magically what was between the pair. She almost always paired the two together even when the groups were so called randomized. They were assigned the vocabulary word of adhesion and had to find a real life example of the definition.

Adhesion: The process of sticking to or conjoining to the surface of an object.

Tree claimed he knew the perfect spot. She could have deemed any spot of the campus as a spot but he continued to push for the spot he had found. Naturally she caved and the spot he picked was now the location for their real life example.

As if on cue the taller male appeared behind her. He smirked and tapped her shoulders, "Afternoon Cat.~"

She jumped and spun around to face him. "Tree! Really? Come on we're too old for that now." She complained, trying to get him to stop with these little scares.

"I just can't help myself Cat, your reactions are quite adorable," he said and handed her a note book "Don't drop it, let's get going so no one can follow us."

"Well I'm sure they did a much more practical idea and just picked any other spot they could find," she deadpanned at the thought of 'going the extra mile' for some silly vocabulary word, "We probably wouldn't even have to go outside. We could have gone to the library and googled an example."

"Cat quit complaining already would ya?" He frowned as he tugged her along.

She sighed and accepted her defeat, letting him lead the way to this supposed fabulous spot for a single vocabulary word. Tree led her around towards the swimming pool. She raised an eyebrow in question but he brushed her off.

"Down here," he said before letting go of her hand. He pointed to a tree off the edge of the base maybe 6 feet from the pool platform. He jumped down onto the grass, expecting her to follow.

"You gave me the books and you want me to jump down and not drop them?" She asked.

"Well you're part cat aren't you? You should always land on your feet," he smirked at his smart comment. "Toss the books down to me and then jump down."

She sighed, still thinking this was too much effort for a vocab word. She dropped the books off the ledge and as he said he caught them. She jumped down, landing in the grass.

"How the hell did you find a spot like this? Did you slip and fall down here during swim class?" She teased and made her way over to the tree. "A tree for Tree huh."

"Haha very funny but yes," he said as he made his way over to her, books still in hand. He set them down near the base of the tree.

"So what's the example?" She asked as she ran her hand along the rough bark.