Chapter 17

Shino brushed her hair aside as Naruto was curled in his chest. The night air was excellent as they lay on his parent's rooftop. The blonde had cried herself to sleep after she cleaned his new wounds from his father. He tightened his hold as she shifted, her soft snores being the only thing keeping him sane. He wanted to do horrible things but was already outside the norm. If he stepped out of line that would only serve the people who despise him. They would finally get their moment to paint him as delusional and off the rails as they have been trying to for years. 

He had someone now, someone who genuinely cared and the last thing he wanted was to have her withdraw simply because he couldn't keep his emotions in check. But if he was being honest, he had a feeling Naruto would stay despite that but he didn't want her in the crossfire. He didn't want her to be hurt so he would keep himself composed forever about how long they stayed together. 

He carefully sat up and carried Naruto inside and got her under the covers, the last thing he wanted was for her to catch a fever, she was delicate, a glass sunflower he treasured. He kissed her forehead as she snuggled up to him again before falling asleep. 

Naruto woke up before Shino, which was a first but it solidified her assumption that he was tired from his wounds. She packed some of his bags with clothing for the next few days and washed her face in the attached bathroom. Once she was awake from the cold water she shook Shino awake, helping him ease upright and into a new shirt. "Come on, let's go home, permanently." 

Shino was stunned by her tone. It was still gentle but it was firm now. Like telling a child that while she enjoyed entertaining them this was it now. She was done entertaining the abuse Shino's father dished out to him. He looked down at the several packed bags and hugged her waist, his glasses were pushed away as tears pricked his eyes. Naruto stared at the ceiling, ruffling his hair with a soft expression. "Are you okay?" 

"I could be better but I'm doing fine right now," He murmured in her stomach. Naruto chuckled and cleaned his face before they climbed out the window like the times before and made their way to the bus stop. 

******

Setting up in their now shared room was surreal to him. Shino has begun to turn the wheels in his head as to how he would provide for Naruto when they graduate. College was looming and while he wanted to broach the subject Naruto wasn't ready for it, often brushing it aside, favoring the act of living in the moment. If he was to be completely honest, he wanted to propose on graduation day, Naruto deserved the best he could put forward but that would only be fulfilled in the future when he established himself from his parents by starting his own company or research facility. 

He headed into their insect room and cleaned up the containers and refilled the food bowls before coming out to Naruto to plate lunch. A domestic feeling overcame both of them. Naruto looked at peace knowing he was finally here to stay, she clung to him for the rest of the night but Shino was in for another shock as he was scrolling through his bleak socials. He decided to check Naruto's social page and was surprised. 

While he was aware that they were dating, that they didn't hide it he was still taken aback that Naruto would splash him across her page. They were pictures of them together, either taken by friends or by Naruto who took a selfie of them both, some were candid pictures of Shino engaged in his hobbies or studying. He checked some of the comments and was surprised by the negativity that was thrown his way for dating Naruto. 

Many couldn't comprehend why someone of Naruto's looks would go for a bleak-looking male like himself. Even though he was still trying to figure it out but he wasn't going to let those comments live in his head rent-free. But he was touched that Naruto showed him off like this but he began to feel a bit like an idiot for never once posting her even though Naruto has never voiced any discomfort. He scrolled through his camera roll, his once nearly empty gallery was now filled with this goofy blonde girl bringing color to his orbit. He picked a candid photo, one of Naruto staring out of a cafe window in deep thought when in reality she was just wondering about what food to order. 

He tagged her before writing a simple comment.

 'My WhiteMoonlight.' 

Naruto's phone pinged but she seemed absorbed in clutching Shino's bicep to care about the device. Which was fine, she would see it eventually, he kissed her cheek before focusing back on the movie.